MacBook Pro and Sony 32" Bravia LCD tv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gtrx170, Oct 23, 2008.

1. gtrx170 macrumors newbie

I am having an issue with my new MacBook Pro trying to get a working connection with a 32" Sony Bravia LCD tv. I can't get the tv to pick up a signal from the DVI-VGA adapter. The Bravia's VGA input works fine with my G4 iBook and it's mini-VGA adapter (not DVI).

When I connect the MacBook pro, the tv says "no signal". However, the computer sees that it's connected to a Sony tv, and shows me three available resolultions (tried all three), and lets me arrange the monitors, move the menu bar from one to the other, but the tv won't display an image. Tried mirroring, no mirroring, it doesn't matter.

Unplug the MacBook, plug in the iBook G4, and everything works fine. The MacBook's DVI-VGA adapter does work with my Samsung computer monitors, just not the Sony Bravia. I tried a different DVI-VGA adapter with the same result.

I was able to get to Sony / MacBook to work with HDMI, but only with either a reduced screen or overscan. Also, the television has only one HDMI input, and I need it for the cable box. The picture quality with HDMI is not as good as the analog VGA was from the iBook, which doesn't make much sense. I just want the VGA on the Sony to work with the MacBook.

Search results indicate that others have done this successfully, but I'm stumped. Maybe the issue is with the television and not the computer, but I'm hoping someone has encountered this and has a fix.

Any ideas as to why this isn't working?

2. munchkins macrumors newbie

Sounds strange - I regularly connect my merom MBP to my D3000 bravia over hdmi and it works fine. I'd recommend checking out the DVI->hdmi cable. This is really the only thing that could cause a problem.

3. Davisjl macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. TV shows "no signal" - TV is recognized by MBP. I am using a new DVI/HDMI cable. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.
    JLD;)

4. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

And you've played with the refresh rates?

Have you tried starting up the MBP with the lid closed while attached to the TV?

5. ronchicago macrumors newbie

I also have same issue. Macbook 1,1 running Tiger. DVi-HDMI adapter and HDMI cable to a Sony 32" LCD Brvaia (new). Mac recognizes the Sony, but Sony shows "No signal" on the HDMI port. I have tried all the variations mirrored/expansion with various resolutions and colors. The only Refresh rate that is available is 60 H (NTSC). Tried cover open/not - TV off/not etc. I don't see HDMI Settings in the Sony setup (via Menu) that seem relevant.

6. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I have the same TV. ...and had the same problem before. I use the mini displayport to HDMI adapter they sell at the Apple store. http://bit.ly/d1oXM3 And then a monster cable HDMI cable. I was having the problem u are having when i was using a cheap $5 hdmi cable form eBay. When i switched to the monster cable, it works perfect now! You should try a nicer cable.

7. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

^Despite my issues with Monster, I highly doubt it's because of the quality of the cable. I would just make sure the manufacturer of your cable guarantees it's compatible with 1.4.