Macbook Pro and SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Haarek1, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Haarek1 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009)
    The harddrive stoped working so I got a new SSD drive. But It would not boot. the computer finds the harddrive sometimes, but sometimes not. I have tried three different SSD drives, but with the same results.
    Is there anything I need to do with the Macbook Pro before it would work with a SSD drive?

Very happy for reply's :D

The Stig

2. Haarek1 thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW: The last disk was a Crucial SSD 256GB

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you didnt install the OS or format the SSD, you wouldnt obviously see it.

4. Haarek1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used a USB stick with OS, but I cannot install the OS to the SSD.
    I can not format the SSD? It start formating but then it stops after 4sec.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Are you using disk utility to format to Mac OS Extended Journaled?

6. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Sounds like the SSD has not been formated to osx Journaled

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That's the problem.

You are using a USB stick to boot into OS. Why can't you install OS on the SSD? You are not giving out any information. How did you install the SSD?

You sure it stops after 4 secs? Cause my crucial 128gb SSD formats within few seconds too.

It sounds like you do not know how to install OS to the SSD.

8. Haarek1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have also tried to put the OS directly to the SSD from another mac, but when I try to boot, when I insert the DDS back into my 2009 macbook Pro, it would not read the disk.
    The disk is formatet to Mac OS Extended Journaled

The problem here is that my old macbook pro will not read from a SSD disk.
    And I wonder WHY.
    Is there a firmware problem?
    Is there something I miss here??

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You must be missing something. Try to put the SSD into an enclosure and boot it that way. See if it works.

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Not much help but I've installed SSDs into a dozen mac portables, 2008 to 2011 models, without issue. There is nothing unique about the format and OS installation. The only issue I've had was infant mortality where two OCZ drives went belly up after a few days in use..... (I no longer recommend OCZ).

There must be something wrong with your procedure... does your procedure work with a rotational Hard Drive? I typically either have a clone or TM backup to install from.

11. Haarek1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It will boot when I use it in the USB port

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Good. It sounds like you have a bootable SSD.

Here are the steps I normally take in upgrading to a new HDD or SSD:

1 - create a brand new fresh Time Machine Backup
    2 - connect my new drive and format it HFS+ journaled, guid partition scheme
    3a - clone my old Macintosh HD to my new drive
    or
    3b - install OSX on my new drive then restore from the TM backup you made in step 1
    4 - test booting from my new drive.
    Notice how I haven't taken out any screws yet and I already have a bootable disk?
    5 - After becoming convinced my new drive is bootable, I open my Mac and put it in.
    I have never had a situation where a drive that boots via USB won't boot internally.

Perhaps in your situation, you could start over, formatting the drive HFS+ journaled, guid partition scheme then install OSX on it and prove you can boot from it.

In fact (and I've done this too, to test developer preview OSes), you can make the usb device the default boot device and your Mac will always boot from USB. This might be the solution for you right now since you say you can boot via USB but not internally. At least you could start using your Mac again.

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

14. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Right, so the SSD is bootable.

After installing the SSD into your Mac, did you set it to default HD to boot?

15. Haarek1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have reached the same conclusion!
    Have ordered a new cable.
    Thanx :)

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I hope that works out for you. I mentioned it because I had the same kind of issues with of my MacBooks. It's funny haw the cable can work fine with a normal hard drive and fail with a SSD. That's why many people don't even think of the cable as a potential part of problem.

17. andy9l, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

andy9l macrumors 68000

If your Mac isn't reading or seeing the SSDs you're putting in it - your hard drive most likely did not die, but something more serious has happened.

It may well be the ribbon...but if it just "died", I find that hard to believe. The ribbon is nicely packed (not squashed) in the MacBook, with no tension or twists. I put an SSD in my 2009 MacBook literally yesterday without any problems.

Hope the new ribbon does work for you, though! I'm using a Samsung 840, in-case you were interested in finding an SSD that definitely works in your 2009 MBP. Worked great for me, no problems as of yet, massive performance boost.

Steps I took (I didn't restore from backups, as I wanted a clean install):

1. Connect SSD via USB (need a SATA -> USB adapter thing) to MBP
    2. Wait for the unformatted error, and click "Initialize" to open Disk Utility
    3. Format to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
    4. Created OS X Mountain Lion USB installer
    [ Do any backups now ]
    5. Switch out HDD for SSD, and put MacBook back together
    6. Plug in the USB installer, turn on and hold alt to open installer
    7. Follow reinstall instructions, make sure you have Internet connection
    8. MacBook will restart a couple of times and eventually leave you with OS X on your SSD!
    9. Visit SSD manufacturer website and install latest firmware for SSD (before you do anything else, in-case you lose/corrupt data)
    [ Restore any backups now ]

I bought this SSD and mini-kit, for £79.99. Great for the SATA cable and SATA->USB adapter - very useful for now and future use. Make sure to update firmware though.

Edit: Just wanted to post the above for your reassurance. When I was looking for an SSD that would definitely work in a 2009 MBP, I found it hard to find any definite answers. I just need this MBP to tick along another few months until the new Haswell MacBook Pros!

I have not "hack-enabled" TRIM - I do not need the drive to last several years.