MacBook Pro and television

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bruceeb, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Bruceeb macrumors newbie

I've had a number of answers regarding this issue. I want to play my MacBook Pro (new aluminum version) through a TV I have in my RV. It has RCA audio and video inputs. I was told that the old MacBooks were fine as they had DVI output, while the new MacBook Pro has DVA output. I'm not really tuned into what this means, but I'm sure there must be an adapter out there that will allow me to make this connection.:confused:

2. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

Exactly what he said. You need a mini display port to hdmi connection, assuming that you are using a tv that has an hdmi input.

If you have one of the mid 2010 models, the mini display port should support both audio and video out in one cable.

Don't forget to go into settings, then sound, to change the audio out to your tv once everything is set up.

3. Bruceeb thread starter macrumors newbie

My RV TV is a "Picture Tube" model, and its inputs for external devices, such as a camera, are on the side of the cabinet. Some day a flat panel LCD or LED will sit in its place, but not for a while yet. Thanks for the excellent input from you gentlemen.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I don't believe this can be done.

I was thinking you could daisychain a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adaptor then the DVI to Video adaptor off that, but the DVI ports are incompatible.

5. Bruceeb thread starter macrumors newbie

I think what I'll do is find a store that has the various adapters etc, and try them out. If they don't work, I'll simply return them and just carry on the way I have been.
    You'd think that Apple would make it easy for guys like me (us). I've been a Mac user since 1984, the year they first appeared on the market. Still love 'em.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

To be honest analogue video is dead nowadays. CRT displays stopped being sold here a good 4/5 years ago and the flat panel displays sold since then have had either a VGA or a DVI/HDMI connector on them.

Apple not being a lover of legacy standards forged onwards with Mini-Displayport. The number of people wanting to connect a modern Mac to such an old TV has to be a very small number.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Just being nit-picky here as I have no useful comment to make as my answer to your question was already posted.

An LCD and LED TV are the same thing, the LED is a type of backlighting for an LCD panel, older flat panels use CCFL lamps.

8. Bruceeb thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been thinking of upgrading the RV TV in the future. The future may be closer than I thought.
    I like the LED picture better than the LSD. Richer blacks, and the picture just seem s crisper. And they've already come down in price. I know it's still hard to beat the Plasma picture, but I have lighting issues in my home; lots of bright windows, and the glass on a plasma is very reflective.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Some computer displays feature an HDMI input and have speakers, if your RV uses some kind of external means of changing the channel and the volume, you could save some money and use a computer display.

10. Bruceeb thread starter macrumors newbie

It's really not a big thing, this RV television scenario. We have a satellite system for the RV (Shaw Direct, from Canada), and only watch the news at night, and perhaps a movie or some show if the wether is inclement. Most of our time is spent out of doors. As it should be.