MacBook Pro and TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by strausd, Oct 15, 2009.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

Hey guys, I am wondering if there is a way to turn my 26" LCD TV into a monitor for my MBP. But my question is also concerning whether or not I will be able to use my TV as a second monitor and keep the screen on my MBP as the main monitor. Is that possible? My TV does have 2 HDMI ports and VGA.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, through either HDMI or VGA. That is actually the default setting.

TEG

3. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Of course! I found the easiest way to connect my 42" HDTV 1080p to my MacBook Pro was to purchase a Mini Displayport to HDMI cable. Then just connect the audio with the audio out cable.

4. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I got a 720p TV so which would be better, VGA or HDMI? and just making sure, I will be able to use it as a second monitor, right?

5. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

for the best video quality you will want to use HDMI. Did you check the back of your HDTV to make sure you have a HDMI port? Yes you will be able to use both your MacBook Pro and TV as two monitors. Just go preference > displays.

This is the adapter that I have.

6. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

ya there are 2 HDMI ports on the back. now would it be better to buy an Apple mini displayport to dvi and dvi to hdmi cord or a non Apple mini displayport to hdmi and an hdmi cord? will i be able to trust the non Apple mini displayport to hdmi connector?

7. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

That was exactly my concern at first. However, after using this device for some time now I have had no problems. Works perfectly fine! :) If I were you, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

8. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

on that post ziggy gave me it said that it would be better to get an apple mini displayport to dvi then dvi to hdmi because its more multipurpose. but my only concern there is whether or not the conversion will distort quality at all

9. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Multipurpose? What other purpose will there be than to connect it to your HDTV? The direct connect to HDMI from mini displayport doesn't go through any conversions. Besides the mini displayport to hdmi is cheaper than apple's adapters.

10. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

11. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The conversion will not distort quality. DVI and HDMI are both equal on video quality -- they are the best. The advantage to getting Apple's DVI adapter is that you can use it on other devices that use DVI (for example, if you wanted to hook your Mac up to another TV, one that didn't have HDMI). But if you doubt you'll be doing that, I'd just go for the HDMI adapter and make it easy.

Note that adapter will NOT transmit audio.

They just came out with a new adapter that will transmit the audio AND the video!

12. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Does hdmi carry over audio? Cause I wana plug my logitech z-5500s into my tv aswell.

13. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

HDMI normally carries audio. But the mini DisplayPort on your Mac does NOT. Because of that, you will either need to get the adapter I put in the above post, or get two separate cables -- one for video and another for audio.

14. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Considering I am using a digital optical cord to connect my speakers to my tv it doesn't matter whether or not it transmits audio.

15. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

In that case, go for the standard HDMI adapter (the one that doesn't transmit audio). But note that some TVs won't allow you to use HDMI + an external audio source (like your optical cable) at the same time. They do this because HDMI usually does transmit audio, so most people would have no need for an external audio source. But it all depends on your TV and whether or not it will support doing so.

16. chickyd macrumors newbie

Does anyone know where I can pick this up in the UK? Would ideally like to get it either today or delivered tomorrow.

17. chickyd macrumors newbie

18. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks for the help guys. I think im gonna order to mini displayport to hdmi connector today along with the hdmi cord and digital optical cord.