Macbook pro and USB 3.0 hubs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by debudebu, Jun 3, 2014.

1. debudebu macrumors regular

Are there any tricks to getting USB 3.0 hubs to play with with Mavericks latest update?

The hub I bought: "Anker 7 port" http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adap...UTF8&qid=1401825823&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+3+hub
    claims to be Mac compatible, but I have to disconnect before powering on or my RMBP won't start up. Once I do that every device works plugged in to it but most of the time my soundcard won't.

The soundcard, RME babyface, was working great with a 2.0 hub, but mostly it's not recognized with the 3.0 (it's compatible with 3.0).
    Sometimes plugging it in on the "last" port on the USB hub's chain works (like last night) but then this morning I went to use the device and the USB light is off for that particular port and the RME babyface is not recognized via light on hub or in Mavericks.

99 percent of the time plugging the Babyface in any of the ports on my Hub the port will not light up that respective port light and the Hub isn't recognized. I've tested the hub and all it's ports with other devices so I know the issue isn't a bunk hub.

I'm on Mavericks the latest update. Please discuss

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

It sounds like the sound card is drawing more than the 500mA maximum that the port can deliver or the hub isn't outputting the full current.

Barney

3. debudebu thread starter macrumors regular

the first thing I should have done is move the Hubs power cord to another slot on the power strip. I did that and it's fine.

Port not outputting current sounds about right. Cheers

4. willgreene99, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

I would suggest using a thunderbolt hub, from vendors such as caldigit - elgato - belkin, etc, instead. I have tried using a USB3 hub and they have caused issues with external devices drawing more power. Since I moved to a thunderbolt dock/hub, I have not had any of those issues. In fact, I have not had any issues with any external devices.

Of course, most TB docks only have 2-3 USB3 ports so that may be an issue, but its a start.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

You just need a externally-powered USB hub.

6. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

I own two of those powered hubs mentioned they do supply the proper power per port, never had problems on mine.

You have to remember if you "need" to use a USB 2.0 device is run it on a seperate hub as some products *cough* audio interfaces(sound card or audio recording interface such as a Focusrite Scarlett or older Avid MobilePre/FastTrack MK2) *cough* can have issues with USB 3.0 trying to downspeed to USB 2.0(power+bandwidth).

...I remember Vermont based SmallDog(Apple Dealer) had a store tech write a blog/newsletter post warning customers they should keep a USB 2.0 hub around for that reason.