Macbook Pro and Video Editing (RAM question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EuphorixProd, Apr 18, 2012.

1. EuphorixProd macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to finding the correct computer parts to run my Macbook at it's peak for video editing. I bought a Macbook Pro 13" with 4GB of RAM and upgraded it to 8GB but when in editing with Final Cut Pro, my composition with green screen really uses a lot of my RAM. In activity monitor it shows that my free memory is about 79MB. So my question I guess is whether I should upgrade the RAM higher to two 8GB cards for a total of 16GB or if I should maybe check into getting a customized video card. I've heard they both could be potential problems so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. EuphorixProd thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

Page outs since when? The Swap used is relatively small. How much RAM does FCP X actually take?

5. EuphorixProd thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know since when but I'm showing Final Cut at 1.17GB under Real Mem column in Activity Monitor but it shows that its using up to 94% of my CPU. It's just once effects and other things start getting added in and toyed with, the computer starts getting choppy and slows down my progress.

6. simsaladimbamba

What codec does your footage use? And 1.17 GB RAM usage is more than okay. FCP X is probably transcoding or analysing the footage in the background.

7. EuphorixProd thread starter macrumors newbie

MOV files
    Codecs: H.264, Linear PCM

----------

And I'm showing all things idle in the background tasks

8. simsaladimbamba

H.264 is not an editing codec, which results in more CPU activity during playback and stutter during frame precise editing and lag when applying effects.
    If you have enough storage, consider transcoding the footage into ProRes 422 via the IMPORT dialog or the TRANSCODE MEDIA function.

[​IMG]

Video Compression
    Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

9. EuphorixProd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses. We will try all these and see how it turns out.:D

10. EuphorixProd thread starter macrumors newbie

My next question with this is... do I need to replace all my clips in my timeline after they have been transcoded in the file library or will they automatically be switched in the timeline as well? I ask because I did transcode all the files. Took about 2 hours. But it still seems choppy and slow.

11. EuphorixProd thread starter macrumors newbie

Still waiting on an answer. Sorry if I'm being impatient but I need get back to work on this ASAP.