Macbook Pro and Windows network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gillespie, May 9, 2010.

1. gillespie macrumors newbie

Hi people. I got assigned a MacBook Pro at work and now I'm learning the in and outs of OSX.

I do have one problem though. At home I have a Windows network with static IPs and I'm unable to see the Windows computers or get the Windows computers to see the MacBook Pro.

Am I doing something wrong?

Macbook Pro has working Internet, but I can't seem to get this network thing to work. All computers are on the same subnet and I think I assigned the Workgroup correctly on the MacBook.

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried connecting to them via IP? In Finder go to Go >Connect to server (CMD+K) and type in smb://192.168.0.1 or whatever the IPs are.

Are the Windows computers set to share?

Have you enabled file sharing in System Preferences > Sharing for the MBP?

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. gillespie thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! That worked perfectly. Now I have to figure out how to make that work automatically every time :)

Thanks!

4. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

You LUCKY bastard! I have been begging my company to provide me with a Mac (MBP or iMac don't care) for 3 years because they are still making me use a ****** Dell. I can't stand the Dell computer and I am starting to think it is that very computer that drove me away from Windows and into the loving arms OS X.

I think I have completely gotten of subject.

5. gillespie thread starter macrumors newbie

Its one of the benefits of working at an ad agency :p

Still, there are many things a Mac can't do that a PC can, but few things that a Mac can do that PC can't. At least that's what I hear the philosophy is on the whole rivalry thing between both platforms and PC users.

I've been using PC for years, since Windows 3.11, and I've never had a problem with them.

Based on my short experience with Mac, I think that a home computer should be a PC, a server should be Linux-based, and a work computer can be both Mac or PC. Same thing to me from work perspective, not from a home one where you need maximum compatibility and games, etc.