MacBook Pro and Wireless Internet, Who do you use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bill&Rose, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Bill&Rose macrumors member

I have the MacBook Pro 2.4 gig and I just subscribed to Alltel wireless because it has no limit for use. I have Verizion for my cell phone service which I am happy with but their wireless plans are 50 MB or 5 GB, I was worried that the 5 GB might not be enough at times.

Who do you use for wireless service and what is their plan unlimited ect., do you like the service and have you had any problems with the service?

So far I like the Alltel it is fast and has been stable on the MacBook Pro. I have only had it for few hours and only used it for about an hour so far, in fact I am sending this through the Alltel wireless plan. The unlimited really is what caught my eye.

I know Alltel is being bought out by Verizion so I should be able to enjoy the extended coverage of the Verizion net work in the future.

I will update this as I use it. :cool:

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

If you aren't using it for everything, and also have wireless at work, 5 gig/month is really pretty decent. Unless you're downloading lots of photos/music or tons of apps, you won't really hit the limit that easily.

How much is your plan? I'm trying to decide which cellular broadband plan to go for, and have used the Verizon one here on the Oregon coast (work has an account and set it up on our machines, but only for one modem, so we have to share.) Verizon seems pretty fast, but the VZAccess Manager software does make the pointer stutter at times, sometimes it doesn't move, then leaps ahead, unless I move it slowly - seems to be putting a serious load on the system. It works okay, but gets a little annoying. Only does this when VZAccess Manager is running.

I guess the other issue is coverage - not all services operate at broadband speeds in all places.

3. Bill&Rose thread starter macrumors member

I found all the plans were the same price 59.99 per month plus taxes of course. You could get cheaper plans but they seemed limited like the Verizion plan for 39.99 a month was only good for 50 MB.

That is what made me like the unlimited Alltel plan. When I do use it a lot I don't want to worry about hitting the limit and getting hit with .48 cents per what ever it is they charge for.

I like my Verizion phones I get coverage where no other phones can get coverage so I really thought hard about getting the Verizion 5 gig wireless plan.

So far the Alltel works pretty good. Time will tell as I use it more.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AT&T plan. I don't go over 1GB/month checking emails and doing work on the go. I don't download stuff, but if I do it'll only be around 2GB at most per month. For anything else, I have my fiber at home.

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I use my 100 Mbit con while at home, and my iPhone as a 3G modem while im not ;)

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

At home, I use a modem and have fixed wire broadband (for which I pay a monthly fee). However, I am abroad, (with a Govt supplied Windows neat little Toshiba, I left my trusty MBP at home) and reliant on wireless and I must point out that it is profoundly unstable. It cuts out and crashes very often, and freezes quite frequently.
    Cheers