MacBook Pro announcement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by colonel179, May 10, 2015.

1. colonel179 macrumors member

Could Apple announce a new 15 Macbook Pro, but have it release until fall 2015?
    Is that something Apple would do, or do they normally release same day/week of their announcements?

The reason I ask this, is because Skylake is supposedly going to release later this year. It could give Apple the opportunity to redesign the MacBook Pro with wireless charging, USB Type C, Force Trackpad, Gold/Space Grey/Silver colors, and maybe the new keyboard with butterfly mechanism.

Or maybe do they have another event later in the year when that could happen?

I think that if they DON'T upgrade the Macbook Pro to Broadwell and Force Trackpad this WWDC, then it could be very possible that they are saving it for a redesign with Skylake.

What do you guys think?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple only announces far in advance when they don't have to worry about sales dropping for the current gen.

They do it for new products (first iPhone, first Apple Watch, first iPad, etc.) or when the old product isn't selling anyway, like the last Mac Pro announcement.

If they announced a new Macbook Pro now I think it would cause a big sales drop of the existing models in the meantime, and then a bigger surge of new orders that they wouldn't have the capacity to fill when the new one comes out.

I would expect an announcement at most a week or two before they become available.

3. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Honestly no one knows but Apple. It would be nice to know a little, (not everything) but Tim Cook is convinced we "love surprises" (I do like some surprises,) but not when it comes to knowing if a product will be updated and released in the semi-near future. (If I am able to have a little knowledge on their plans I can save up for the computer and actually get it when it's released.) I always have to wait because when they announce them I don't have the funds to drop $2000+ right then. By the time I am able to get my hands on their products it is usually just a few months until the "NEW" version comes out. lol
    I mean Apple should keep some of the specs and new features a "surprise" but I would love to have a bit more info on if they were actually going to release a refreshed rMBP... (Like maybe June/July, or Oct/Nov.... Or later next year.)
    I love Apple but they frustrate me at the same time. lol. ***first world problems. ;) ha ha

*Sorry for long rant-like post, lol.

Kal

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's all down to intel

Apple will update the 15 inch when the chips are available. Intel still haven't released Broadwell H and the appropriate skylake chips aren't on the Intel roadmap yet (the august release currently only shows desktop parts). So we have no idea what to expect when and seemingly apple have little idea either...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't see apple making an announcement that requires months and months of lead time for an existing product. That would kill sales of their current model.

See the Osborne effect

6. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

I never looked at it that way. That makes so much sense now. Ha ha... Okay Apple carry on! ;) (no wonder I am not going into business) lol

Kal.

7. wct097 macrumors 6502

Why not just start saving in anticipation? You know that Skylake MBPs will be released sometime between 6/15 and 6/16. If you prep now, you'll be ready. There really isn't a downside to having the money saved "too early" rather than having to start saving after the announcement.

8. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

I need it for school, I'm majoring in animation (3D and a Traditional) and my other focus is film. I have the current 15" model, but I wouldn't mind a newer dGPU and overall updated MPB.

Kal.

9. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

You may not get a discrete GPU. With skylake, I'd say the chances are even less as Intel improve the performance of the integrated GPU

10. wct097 macrumors 6502

Still not sure how this would prevent you from saving in anticipation. How does using your machine in school, when you have a current machine, prevent you from saving in anticipation of the next one? Or more to the point, why can you save for a new one after an announcement, but not before?

11. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

My hunch, based on historical WWDC events, their current lack of inventory, and rumors here, is Apple will indeed announce a refresh of the 15" Macbook Pro with Broadwell and Force Touch. I believe it will be available immediately (within 2 weeks of announcement) and will cost the same. My only worry is what dGPU they will include. I personally think because Broadwell and Iris Pro 6200 are not quite powerful enough to scrap the dGPU yet, particularly with Adobe products like After Effects where Nvidia CUDA cores and necessary, they will include one (although Skylake may change that). I'm guessing an 800 series Nvidia chip.

Of course, it's anyone's guess and my guess is based on speculation, rumors, and some more speculation. We'll see what happens. I'm personally holding off on ordering a 15" until WWDC tho. My 2010 MBP will have to do until then!

12. Daringescape macrumors regular

I'm betting that a WWDC announcement is coming for the 15" - I tried to buy one today and EVERY Apple store as well as Best Buy in Southern California is out of stock. The Apple Store said 3 weeks if I want to order one.

There must be a refresh coming - I guess I will have to wait for my new machine!

13. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

Yeah same here, I'm unable to find a 15" MBP w/ dGPU in stock anywhere. I also noticed Apple pulled most refurbished 15" models from their online store. I called a couple computer stores that are 'Authorized Apple Resellers', and they were out as well. I'm with you, I feel pretty confident it's coming in 3 weeks. I'm stoked. I'd be really excited and would offer up a lot of my money for:

• Broadwell Quad Core i7 (I don't see Skylake as realistic)
    • 16GB RAM
    • 512GB next-gen SSD
    • Iris Pro 6200
    • Nvidia 800 series with 2GB DDR5
    • Force Touch Trackpad

14. dakduel macrumors member

Same here. I was going to finally pull the trigger on a top spec 15 inch when I noticed the ship times. I believe there will defin be a refresh coming next month with at least force touch and upgraded cpu.

It would be really cool if they opt to put the new butterfly keypad and use the extra space for a slightly bigger battery!

15. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Sorry, I meant in the past saving to get a new Apple Product like a refreshed MacBook was a bit more difficult for me as I had no idea there would even be a new one at that time or not, also other things were bought and i had to pay for other things. If i sell my current one now I can afford the new version. If i kept it I lose a bit more re-sell value, and i would prefer to get as much as i can. So if/when I upgraded I wouldn't have to pay as much.

Sorry for any confusion.

Kal.