MacBook Pro anti-glare design flaw

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnthurgoona, Feb 9, 2010.

1. johnthurgoona macrumors newbie

I bought a Macbook Pro 15" with a matt screen and discovered a serious design flaw. The gloss model gets its screen section rigidity from the outer casing and the clear gloss panel (glass?) creating a 'sandwich' structure. On the anti glare model, the clear gloss panel has simply been deleted, and a flimsy bezel put around the edges. I had assumed that the option consisted of a film over the gloss screen. Alas, no. The resulting weak screen had already started to bend when I received it. It seemed obvious that this would continue. The LCD screen is unprotected. The problem was confirmed by an Apple dealer service department. I have to return it and order a gloss model. I will now have to add anti glare film myself, if it turns out to be necessary. A very poor performance by Apple, who style themselves as a 'design' company.

2. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

And the Glossy one is also prettier they just released antiglare ones to respect people paying 2000$

3. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Thanks for letting us know at least. I asked this question before.

Glossy it is then. Thanks!

4. iKay macrumors newbie

Wow I didn't realise they had made the anti-gloss screens even more flimsy. I worry enough about bending the screen when closing the lid on my glossy. I'd presume a lot of the support comes from the glass layer on that too so the anti-gloss must be terrible!

The glossy screen is pretty much unusable in well lit areas though, and this has been causing me issues lately, if you do find a good Anti Gloss product to add-on I for one would be interested in hearing about it. :)

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Hmm, perception is everything. The current matte screen design, in terms of the panel being framed by an aluminum bezel, is identical to what MBPs were like prior to the unibody redesign. I personally have not seen any reviews or reports in regards to the original MBPs where this would be cited as a design flaw. Quite contrary, their overall design and their performance made MBPs almost ubiquitous. If it is your preference to have a reflecting glass panel in front of your screen, then Apple gives you a great product to purchase. But I wouldn't go as far as blame the other tried design approach as defective.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

As an owner of a non-unibody Macbook Pro, I must say, while the lid isn't the most sturdy thing ever, after 3 years it's not like I've ever had it crack on me. And so what if the LCD panel isn't protected by a sheet of glass, up until Apple did that, every-single-LCD-sold-didn't-have-glass-in-front-of-it.

I think you're just looking to complain

7. jajohns8 macrumors regular

Recently bought a 15" MBP and have not experienced any weaknesses or flaws with the anti glare screen.

I checked both out in the store before buying and the glossy screen just seemed incredibly distracting to use.

8. iKay macrumors newbie

The non-unibody MacBook Pro's didn't have an LED screen that was as thin as these are though did they?
    That's where I would be worried. These screens are so thin and just don't feel all that sturdy. I know that the glossy worries me every time I move it so having that less the glass would worry me even more!

But as plenty of people have said the glossy screen is very distracting. If you turn the brightness off and have a light source behind/above you it's almost a mirror!

9. kolax macrumors G3

Completely disagree. Screen is fine and the lid is strong. The previous non-unibody MBP's had a similar lid design.

I really don't see what you are fussing about..

10. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

The matte option was an afterthought due to the outcry of loyal graphic/photo intensive users, thus they may have rushed it to market. As stated above it is no different to previous matte MBP.

11. PacMookBro macrumors regular

Matte on unibody is flimsy. I went for glossy because of this...

12. iKay macrumors newbie

I guess this one comes down to our individual opinions of what is acceptable/normal. I haven't ever used a matte MacBook Pro unibody, haven't even seen one in person, but I know for me I think it's borderline unacceptable how the screen is now on the glossy.

None the less I would still take care of it just like this one and it would probably last just as long as the glossy. For some users though, I can imagine what you mean about it being flimsy.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Wouldn't say it was rushed at all.. The 17" Unibody MacBook Pro was released with the anti-glare model available, and it was showed in the keynote. The 15" anti-glare was available literally half a year later.

14. carl l macrumors newbie

Exactly. I passed on a loaded 13" because of the glossy screen. No complaints about the anti-glare and I actually think the backing makes it stronger than the previous version I had (2007 15" 2.2GHz anti-glare)

15. Moocher macrumors regular

It seems everyone needs to worry about something.

Mooch

16. logimech macrumors member

Whatever that means, I'm pretty sure they don't.

17. felt. macrumors 6502a

I disagree, I had the previous non unibody model 17" and the screen looked like it might be slightly warping when the lid was closed but only because of the latch in the middle, and now with the unibody 17" anti-glare the top lid feels very sturdy.. and is most definitely not warping in any way shape or form, and I carry it everywhere and take it out and use it everyday.

18. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

3m makes one, its probably one of the best because 3M doesn't skip on top quality in any of their products that i have ever noticed.

19. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Anti-glare films are JUNK. I used to think otherwise, even using a Moshi iVisor AG myself. However, in the end I sold my MacBook Pro because there is absolutely no substitute for a factory anti-glare display. My next MBP will most definitely have an anti-glare display, just like my first one which sold me on Apple products back in 2006.

20. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

I may be going on a limb here but the unibodies are a new design which were originally meant to have glass that does help with the strength of the LCD. Adding in a matte option is an afterthought due to demand. I literally went to the apple store and only saw one laptop (a 17MBP)with Matte and there is a stupid little tinfoil like aluminum bezel not connected to anything its just glued in place from what i could tell. :eek: I got my fingernail under it and it moved. If it is that way on all the matte laptops i don't want it. I want glossy...that is unless they revise the casing in the new laptop to accommodate a stronger lid for the matte option. Else i wanted matte until i physically checked the matte option. Also i think the aluminum detracts from the subject on screen so a black bezel is much better too. I'll probably get a 3M sticker to make it a matte screen.

21. kolax macrumors G3

The anti-glare 17" Unibody MacBook Pro was announced and shown in the keynote. It wasn't an "after thought".

And the bezel being like "tin foil".. stop talking rubbish.

The lid is the exact same design as the previous non-unibodies but actually much much sturdier.

22. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

+1
    Here is the link to the video that supports the above statement, it is from MWSF 2009.

23. sth macrumors 6502a

:confused:

I've had a matte 17" on my hands quite a few times in the last months and never noticed anything bad about the screen except that the whole notebook feels much more solid than my non-unibody 15".

Going for glossy because the screen is more sturdy? Come on, you must be joking...

24. ammusk macrumors regular

I have a pre-unibody macbook pro with matte screen and it's fine for me.

If the uMBPs have a sturdier version that's even better!

25. puma1552 macrumors 601

Have some of you even considered how the Macbook Air is built, and how its lid is thinner than the MBP lid?

People just trying to find a reason to complain.:rolleyes: