MacBook Pro Anti-Glare Screen Option -- Hard or Soft?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lyew, Apr 13, 2010.

1. lyew macrumors newbie

This is probably going to be one of the strangest inquiries on this forum. But the logic behind this is quite simple. I've been using an older unibody MacBook Pro when the antiglare option wasn't available. Although I hate the glossiness, I like the additional glass layer, which makes the LCD display tougher. This is pretty important especially when you have two nosy preschoolers who simply love tapping and prodding the screen. The glass layer adds a layer of protection.

I'm now thinking of getting a new MacBook Pro and am considering the antiglare option. But I'm worried this means that there is no longer that additional glass layer. So my question is simple. For those who own a MBP with an antiglare screen: what does the surface of the screen feel like? Does it leave transient color "smudges" when you put some pressure on it, like a regular twisted nematic panel? Or is it tougher like an IPS panel?

2. pastparticiple macrumors regular

The anti glare screen does not have the hard glass in front of it like the glossy does. It is like a standard screen that you would see on most laptops that is more "soft" in your meaning.

The glass is actually what makes the glossy screen so reflective and glossy looking. A normal "glossy" screen is "soft" as well so putting a matte screen under the glass would still result in a reflective screen unless the glass had some sort of AR coating on it.

3. ok2uselane macrumors newbie

"Does it leave transient color "smudges" when you put some pressure on it, like a regular twisted nematic panel?"

Yes, it leaves transient color "smudges.". I tested this out at an Apple store the other day. I have a toddler and am opting for the "glossy" for the same reasons you mentioned in your post.

Good luck!
    ;)

4. lyew thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I did a bit of looking up and found out that the right expression would be "pressure mark", which could become permanent if excessive pressure is placed on the screen.

Looks like I'll have to get the glossy screen and buy a antiglare protective film to stick over it.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The glossy display is a glossy panel with a piece of glass on top of it (that's 2 shiny layers); the anti-glare is just one layer (panel itself) with an anti-glare coating; any anti-glare protector on the glass will look like crap and nothing compared to the stock anti-glare option.

6. ok2uselane macrumors newbie

When looking at the anti-glare model in the Apple store, I thought the silver border made it look cheap. As I recall, if you ran your fingernail along the edge, it seemed like it would pop-off. Not good, especially when children are a factor.
    ;)

7. lyew thread starter macrumors newbie

IMHO the third-party addon protective film (the one I use is PowerSupport) isn't so bad. I've got it on my old unibody MBP and it does the job pretty well. The reason why I asked this question is because I know that there are some matte LCD screens that are pretty tough. I also use a Dell display with an IPS panel and have an IPS-based LCD TV at home. Both machines have a harder surface than the twisted nematic panel-based screens, and they are less susceptible to pressure marks. So I wasn't sure if Apple -- with all its technological innovativeness -- has been able to come up with something similar for its antiglare MBPs, so I thought I'd ask.