Macbook Pro - Aperture 3 RAW image load times: share your performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hooly, Oct 17, 2011.

1. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

Hi

I am a long time user of Aperture and am interested to know if an upgrade will significantly affect RAW image load times.

In general I find Aperture very responsive (particularly compared to the original version). Image editing is slick enough once the image has loaded, but with large RAW files the preview images often take several seconds to fully render, which can be frustrating if you have hundreds of images to sort through for the 'keepers'.

I would be very grateful if you could let me know the following information. I am not particularly interested in jpeg performance, but maybe others are.

MBP model: 2010 2.66Ghz core 2 duo, 8gb RAM, NVidia Gforce 320M, 256gb SSD
    Aperture library size: 80Gb
    Average load time: estimated 3-5 seconds for RAW
    RAW files size: typically 20mb

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Running the same setup and my load times are about the same. Much depends upon the megapixel size. If your camera shoots at 16mp (like my D7000), the the load times will be longer.

About the only thing you could upgrade to your system is to either go with a 7200 rpm drive, or SSD drive.

You might see a slightly faster load time on a newer MBP, but not enough to really justify the upgrade.