macbook pro apple add-on prices, worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by volcom883, Oct 9, 2008.

1. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

hi,
    thinking of buying the macbook pro once new ones launched. i would like to add some stuff to it but was wondering whether its cheaper/better to get them directly from apple or from another shop?

the following prices include a 14% student discount.

official apple add-on prices:

- 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB = £102/$177

- 200GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm = £24/$42

- Apple Remote = £13 /$22

-Higher Education 3yrs AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll = £58/$100

any thing else i could/should get?

your advice would be appreciated.

thanking you

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you buy from the Apple Store for Higher Education (at http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk) then you get a 3 year warranty included for free. The only advantage to buying AppleCare is that it will allow you to return the laptop to Apple in a different country if it breaks down. It will not cover you against any accidental damage or theft. In short - a waste of money.

The other prices will most likely change when the new laptops are released but one thing always stays constant - Apple overcharges for RAM. Look elsewhere and fit it yourself, it really is not difficult to do.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. Glennsune macrumors newbie

From what I have heard, the 7200rpm disks are not worth it. Just makes more noice and generate more heat - for very little speed increase.

The RAM you should definitly get from 3rd party vendor.

Get the remote, I use mine all the time.

5. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

ok so i get the 3yrs warranty for free anyway as a student! thats sweet!

ok so i wont get the 7200rpm drive.

i will get the RAM upgrade from a 3rd party(could i fit it myself? if not, im sure many shops can be trusted dunno they might exchange some stuff - oh yeah does it avoid the warranty if added?)

ok yes i will get the remote it must be very handy! are there any other remotes for macbook pro ontrolling more stuff? like generic ones?

and thanks again guys

edit: hey the apple remote is being sold by many sellers for about £5/$8.5. they cant be fake can they?

edit again: this is what it says on the apple uk website: Buy an iPod.
    Purchase an iPod nano or an iPod touch with your Mac and qualify for a rebate of up to £95.*
    i thought i could get a nano for free. so whats this discount deal about?

edit again and again: foudn the discount chart. its basically 95 quid off of any ipod 8 or 16 gb chart found here

6. P Mentior macrumors regular

The RAM is user replaceable in the current MBP (no it doesn't void the warranty) so I would assume that would be the case with the new ones. The is a guide on the apple website on how to do it.

RAM upgrade Guide for current model:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

The iPods were offered free in the US. Since the new models were introduced before the promo started in the UK you don't get them free but at a nice discount.

7. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

warranty

were are you reading the 3 year warranty for a student. i am a student got the student discount and have a 1 year warranty. apple remotes you can find them anywere just buy from a trusted seller. make sure you read the techhouse blog on this site. ram and driver from apple are overpriced right now to upgrade a mb to 250 is $90 i can buy a 250 hard drive for $70

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

RAM is very very easy to install yourself. Look at the guide posted above.:)

9. thomasp macrumors 6502a

All UK Higher Education (University) students get 3 years warranty for free, and about 75% off applecare, and up to 15% discount on Macs. The only details about this that I can find are on the specific UK education store pages, which are only accessible via a UK-HE network.

10. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

so no need to do or buy anything else i guess. simply buy the mac through the uni computers and thats it 3 yrs warranty on it! right?

by the way, hadnt noticed but they are also doing £60/$100 rebate on printers including one which i may even get for free!
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/campaigns/printer_promo_sep08?mco=NzQxNTk
    could you help me to choose one? i would preferably want a wifi one but they are quite expensive. so shall i get the HP C4480 for free or add £20/£35 for the CANON MX310? or any other worth the extra money?

tip: uk customers wishing to get an apple computer, dont forget quidco for extra 6% discount

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow, that's awesome!

12. azharc macrumors member

I have never heard my 7200RPM hard drive. My 5400RPM WD Passport makes noise.

Several sources say its faster, I haven't compared thoroughly myself though. But it's cheap - so I went for it. If you're planning on 4GB RAM you might as well go for the fastest drive as well.

There are several threads debating on 5400 vs. 7200, a few of them led me to choosing the 7200.

13. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

will replacing the internal HD avoid the warranty? can i upgrade it myself by the way?

14. philamac macrumors regular

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think replacing the HD on the current MBP voids the warranty, but I'm not 100% on that. The new MBP is rumored to have a more easily swappable HD, which might allow for user upgrades without voiding the warranty.......

EDIT: And MBPs don't come with the remote. At least, mine didn't.

16. vixapphire macrumors 6502

nope.

17. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

ok so you guys think that 7200 rpm upgrade is worth £24/$42 ?

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

What do you need more: more space or more speed? I would go for more space.

And RAM+HD upgrade may not be necessary when new MBPs come out as they could already be with 4 GB and larger HD.

19. mdgolom macrumors 6502

For memory, compare what Apple would charge vs. what you can get from third party vendors. If it's cheaper from a third party go that route. The only exception for me to this rule is a Mac Mini. Any instuctions that require the use of a putty knife doesn't sound like too much fun.

Replacing the hard drive in a MPB will violate the warranty on the computer, so if you do want the upgrade go with Apple.

For me Applecare is a no-brainer, get it.

I can't answer about the remote since I've never used my for my MBP. I got it back in the days when Apple actually included it with the laptop.

Just by $.02.

20. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

yes i want it for speed dont care about space..
    ok $45 just for extra speed is a lot but i see it this way: for something which i intend to use at least 3-4 years is not really that much... isnt it?

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Be careful with that statement. Hard drives fill up faster than you can say "1 year".

22. azharc macrumors member

You're in a delicate balance then.
    If you want, you can install your own 320GB+ 7200RPM drive.
    Personally I went for speed because I have an external drive which has a partition for backup and another for added storage (the added storage is backed up onto an old iPod).

So. Think hard.

EDIT : Also, since I was getting 4GB RAM, I didn't want the drive to lag even a little bit :D

23. iBunny macrumors 65816

I put a 7200 rpm HDD in my MBP and it was the single most improvement I have ever seen in a Notebook.