MacBook Pro Applecare replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubechallenger, Dec 20, 2009.

1. tubechallenger macrumors newbie

Right, just a quick question, I live in the UK if that holds any bearing to it.

I've got a MacBook Pro unibody (late 2008) which Apple have offered to give me a replacement for instead of another repair (it would be repair no.5). They told me this at the genius bar today but couldn't swap it out today as I had upgraded the RAM inside it and they require original parts.

They've offered me the new 2.53GHz machine without the 9600M GT, but I believe under the AppleCare plan I have (which says "The replacement product or parts will be functionally equivalent to the replaced products or parts and will assume the remaining coverage under the Plan."). Can I assume that they won't actually be able to give me that as it isn't "functionally equivalent" as it doesn't have the 9600M GT? If so, would it be right to assume I'd get a refurb or the new 2.66GHz?

Thanks

Tom

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, considering you have a unibody machine with Discreet graphics, you should get a unibody with discreet graphics. Tell them the graphics card is why you bought it to begin with, so you need to get your same graphics with the replacement.

3. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

They've tried to pull this on a lot of people now...unbelievable.

The 8600gtm outperforms the 9400m. You should receive a computer with a 9600gtm, period, no questions asked. On pointing this out, people receive what they should, but you shouldn't have to do this! Really cheap and sly on Apple's part.

EDIT: Whoa, I misread this, they're trying to replace your 9400+9600 computer with a 9400? That's even more ridiculous!

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'd tell Apple it's simple mathematics.

I have 2 graphic processors.

You're trying to give me 1 graphic processor that sucks compared to my discreet one.

It doesn't add up.

5. tubechallenger thread starter macrumors newbie

Got the replacement on Monday - they agreed that I was due the new 2.66GHz which I'm now typing this on and very nice it is too.

Also gave me a new Applecare for the machine to save the hassle of phoning up and getting it swapped over. :)

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

That is great to hear you got the machine, replacement, and warranty you deserve for the trouble. Enjoy it. Nice machine.