macbook pro applecare...what does it cover?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sixty9m3, Mar 29, 2009.

1. sixty9m3 macrumors newbie

so i had to take in my 15" mbp to the apple store to get it checked out for a failing HDD and spots on my screen. the genius bar informed me that the HDD was covered under my standard warranty and that they would swap it out free of charge but the screen itself was not covered under warranty and would cost $500 to replace. i was wondering if applecare would cover the screen itself or does it only pertain to apple cinema displays?

thanks for your help in advanced

2. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

ohh yea buddy it will cover the screen. Im surprised that the regular warrenty does not cover it. You should check into that he might have been trying to gag you. How long have you had it?

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Applecare covers failure, not accidental damage. What exactly do you mean by "spots on [the] screen"? Are they damage from something like impact, or water? OR is it fading, backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc? If it's something they think that you caused yourself, your SOL. Otherwise, it should be covered.

4. sixty9m3 thread starter macrumors newbie

the apple store employee said that the spots were a result from pressure on the screen...which makes no sense to me seeing as how i have never placed anything on top of my screen nor applied any pressure to the screen which would cause such damage.

as for the "spots," one is a white blotch which looks like a blown out highlight from an overexposed picture. the other is a block dot which i would assume is a dead pixel but i'm not too sure. all i know is that the spots are def. in the screen itself and not dust on the screen.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I've had a good deal of experience with Geniuses. Generally I divide them in two categories: those that love the Apple brand and do what it takes (within reason) to get you going, and those who are either arrogant corporate wannabes who get their jollies telling customers "no" or are too "smart" to do further research. Generally when I get the latter I either ask for a manager or politely say "OK," and then make an another appt. at another store w/ a different Genius. It really just depends on whether I'm in a fighting mood or not. As always, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

As to the spots, it is possible to get splotches by pressing on the screen, but you'd have to press hard and for a minute or two. It can also happen if a flying blunt object hits the screen or you subject your screen to sub-freezing temps for too long. I'm guessing none of that is the case here. More likely is that you have a defective screen. I recall the final PowerBook model was famous for having milky white spots which Apple did not want to take responsibility for until the issue was pervasive and creating bad publicity. Is that is what you are seeing?

My advice is to either go to another Apple Store (get the manager involved if you have to) or call up. Generally I don't like to call b/c I always get the feeling they are paid by the number of people they don't have to refer to a 2nd line tech, but in this case it may be the solution to your problem. Since the issue requires someone to look at your machine it will go to the depot and more than likely they won't ask further questions, but rather just put a new screen in.

In any event I wouldn't let them bully you around. There are good, helpful Apple tech people that genuinely want to make things right. The frustrating part is that you have to discover them though a "hit and miss" process.