Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theknowles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
ok, first off sorry if this has been asked a million times im having internet problems and searching is taking forever.

what i want to know is do pro apps like the current FCP and photoshop cs etc work on the macbook pro? not long ago i heard that these didnt and you had to wait for the universal apps to come out. But i was reasently talking to some one who has a macbook pro and said all the current apps run on it, heres his responce when i asked about the software

"hey whats up bro, yea i'm in a film class and im just uploading all the software for it, i have all the usual ****. fcp and all. It all runs at reg speeds, I'm pretty sure it just runs at the same speed of the powerbook, so i mean ill have to wait to get some of the universal stuff so i can use the speed on this thing. But yea definitely get the macbook, this thing does wonders. I have all older nonunversal software and im not being slowed down, its just the same speed as the powerbook, so i mean this thing will only get faster as more software comes out. Hope it helps, me and zander are going to check the speed on this thing compared to his powerbook and see if theres much of a difference, buts its not a hassle running the older stuff."

so what i want to know is is this guy just making stuff up or can you actually get the currrent apps working on it, just not to theyre full potential.

thanks and sorry for the often asked question.
alex

milkdev

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2006
Germany
theknowles said:
so what i want to know is is this guy just making stuff up or can you actually get the currrent apps working on it, just not to theyre full potential.

That's right.

But there are some Apps that won't run in Rosetta (PowerPC emulator)..

Photoshop (and the other Creative Suite apps) do for sure.

theknowles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
milkdev said:
According to http://www.apple.com/rosetta/ Final Cut Pro won't work on an MBP within Rosetta. But you can upgrade to the Universal Binary version for $99 - it should be availlable on March 31, 2006.

id be getting the software through school etc, does that mean id have to send a disk back to apple to get the upgrade, or can u simply have the current software and then get teh upgrade disk for $99 ??:confused:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
theknowles said:
id be getting the software through school etc, does that mean id have to send a disk back to apple to get the upgrade, or can u simply have the current software and then get teh upgrade disk for $99 ??:confused:
Well, if you haven't bought Final Cut Studio yet, there's nothing to worry about. The Universal versions are already out, so if you buy it at some point in the future, you'll have 'em. If you already own Final Cut Studio, you can send your discs back to Apple along with money (is it $50 or $100?) to get the Universal versions.

theknowles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
yeah it would just be a whole lot easier if the current fcp ran on the macbook pro because then id have to fork out another $800 for the software

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.