Macbook Pro Arrow Key suddenly stopped working. Any help would be appreciated!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Diggity Dang, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Diggity Dang macrumors newbie

Hi there! This forum has always been pretty good at helping me figure out some of my issues, so I thought I would continue the streak! :D

So all of a sudden, my Macbook Pro's down arrow stopped working. This appears to be the only key that is broken. I might have spilled a splash of coffee in the area several weeks ago:eek:, but it only recently stopped working.

Any suggestions on what I can do would be appreciated. I took the key off and wiped it with a q-tip and water, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I also used compressed air, also with no positive results.

I run:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB

Thanks in advance!

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

If possible, bring it to an Apple Store and see if they can figure it out. Usually in this case, the problem is due to food/liquid or dust being stuck under the keys. But since you used compressed air, that would have gotten anything out. It could be a Hardware Problem.

3. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks John Doe... Yeah, I agree that an apple store might be my best bet, but my closest one is a bit of a hike, so I was hoping that people might have suggestions for me to try before conceding to making that drive :D!

But thanks for the advice... it's always appreciated!! If you have any other suggestions, I would be willing to give it a few days before filling up the gas tank! :p

4. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

The apple store will charge you ~$1250 for any repair on your computer. I'd see if a different apple authorized repair center will replace just the keyboard.

5. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

OUCH!!! For real?? Ok, I'll check into another apple retailer... thanks for your help...