Macbook Pro as a desktop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZzBoG, Jun 26, 2007.

1. ZzBoG macrumors member

Hello everybody,

I have a question, it may seem strange, but still.

Can I use MBP as a desktop: put it on the desk closed, attach an external monitor to it, a mouse and a keyboard, switch MBP on, but don't open it. I'm asking because I think it'll save me a lot of space on the desk. I can even put MBP in vertical position! (But will it's DVD work this way?)

BTW Waiting for my new 15" MBP 2.4 is a torture.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Yes.

But you are best leaving it open since heat dispatches through the keyboard. And since it is a SR I wouldn't recommend running it at all with the screen down.

Get an iCurve and position your MBP off the desk if you want more desk space. Most monitor cables are pretty long, so you can easily have the MBP off the desk somewhere.

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I've used my 14" iBook G4 as a Desktop for almost 4 years. I don't use a separate monitor though, just an Apple bluetooth mouse & keyboard, and the laptop sits on an iCurve stand. I am very happy with the set-up overall.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I thought about doing this but I just got a PowerMac G5 instead. It is a bit easier to have both.

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Have you ever used a MBP? Very little heat is dispatched through the keyboard compared to other areas of the computer.

Running a MB or a MBP with the display closed is a design feature and fully supported by Apple. Here are the instructions.

7. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Been running my SR MBP with the screen down as a desktop since I got it (ordered the day it was released) and it idles at roughly the same temp as when open and using as a notebook.

You will have no problems at all.