MacBook Pro as a second display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGretchen, Feb 19, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

So I've come across this program called ScreenRecycler
    http://www.screenrecycler.com but I think it's a little too complex for my friend who's pretty illiterate. He loves Mac, but just has them because there's less problems than windows, he's by no means a techie.

He's got a 24" a new iMac and an older mbp, and his question is if he can use the mbp as a secondary display or not with his iMac. I am honestly unsure if this will work, but my thought was to connect DVI to DVI and hope the iMac will detect the mbp as a second display.

Any ideas if this will work, or suggestions of other programs/solutions to try?

Thanks

2. finnschi macrumors 6502

Recycle screen is the Only Solution you have, but You can't serioulsy work with that(its SLOWWW)

No you cannot just connect the 2 devices!

Sell the MBP and get a HUGE screen for that money ... :eek:

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

None of the MacBooks or iMacs have a video-in capability. You can't connect DVI-to-DVI - if you did it would probably fry something.

4. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

DUH! Why did I think I could connect them directly...jeeeeeeeeez. I had an id10t error moment.

Thanks guys.

5. finnschi macrumors 6502

haha just FYi, if you REALLY need the mbp to be a 2nd screen....

get a DVI-Composite Adapter and a USB- VIDEO-IN adapter... and then you'll have a 2nd screen altough, its not worth it... just go out and get a 150$ 19" Screen.... :cool:

6. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I thought about telling him to just do that. It's just the way his work area is set up, it's the iMac and a stand for his macbook pro.