Macbook Pro as Desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by themac23, Mar 6, 2011.

1. themac23 macrumors regular

Those of u who use a Macbook Pro as your main desktop computer; why did you choose the Macbook Pro over an iMac?

Is there something about the Macbook Pro that you think is superior other than the portability?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I like knowing when I travel I can disconnect from my Apple Cinema Display and go

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

If you didn't want portability, you wouldn't buy a macbook.

You pay much more for the function of portability compared with iMac's.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

5. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I use a Mid-2009 MBP hooked up to an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I chose this setup mainly because I am a student and I need the portability but both have their pros/cons.

iMac Advantages:
    -Higher RAM limit
    -More USB ports
    -More internal storage available
    -Cheaper AppleCare
    -Great all-in-one design
    -Value

Laptop Advantages:
    -Portability
    -Best of both worlds w/ external screen
    -Anti glare option
    -Easy to upgrade RAM and HDD

6. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

^This. It's just so much more convenient. I use to have smaller portable that goes with me, then when I come home I work with the desktop. However it gets annoying transferring files and whatnot, especially larger files like video and photo albums. One fantastic MacBook Pro and problem solved, goes everywhere does everything :D

7. tslewis macrumors member

with an apple cinema display i have the best of both. A fully portable desk top computer that I can take to bed, to work, or with me on vacation.

In fact i dont see the point of an imac.

8. bklyn bruiser macrumors newbie

LMAO.... I seen pics like these a million times.. And I still can't help but cracking up..

9. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

Don't see the point of an iMac?! Its a beautiful machine, with ample benefits over an MBP (for a user like me)

Look a post or two behind you

10. revenire macrumors member

revenire

Portability was the top reason. Goes with me etc.

Funny picture. :D

11. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

12. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I have a 17" MBP. I am also a college student. I need to be able to close it up, and take it home with me on the plane (I don't actually plan to use it on the plane). If I were out of school and had my own place, my choice would be between an iMac or a Mac Pro. For now, the MBP is the next best thing.

13. trent0n macrumors newbie

you can haz both!

sorta....picked up this 24" ACD on craigslist for 360...i am loving this setup.:D

Attached Files:

14. bagoborealis macrumors newbie

Hey,

Is that a 13" MBP? If so what resolution output can you get to you ACD?

Thanks!

15. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I just got a 13" MacBook Air and my 15" MacBook Pro now stays at home and acts as my desktop.

I love it! I remote to the MBA when I need files and use LogMeIn Hamachi to stream my iTunes library. It doesn't like streaming video though.

And, if I really want, I can leave the Air at home and take the MBP but I've got everything so dialed in that I haven't had to even think of doing that yet.

16. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

WoW ftw.

17. trent0n macrumors newbie

yes its a 13" i5

i get 1920x1200

18. themac23 thread starter macrumors regular

It is a more expensive option to buy the macbook pro and then the cinema display if you buy them new. However, it seems that the macbook pro has less issues out of the box than the iMac.

19. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I laughed.

I've hooked my 2010 13" MBP up to a 50inch LCD TV and I was awed (VGA). Anyways the 2010MBP supports 2560x1600 which is what the largest apple cinema display currently sits at. Hopefully this should clear some things up with people thinking the 13" can't put out to external monitors like a 15 or 17inch MBP or that the 13inch cant hold its own.:apple::D

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The 17" Macbook Pro is more expandable than the iMac; I can fit full length PCIe cards in one if I chose to do so (and will in the future).

And with the 2011 MBPs, even the lowest denominator MBP can theoretically transfer data quicker and have more displays.

But why did I choose the MBP? Well, I needed a laptop as i'm 50% mobile, as well as the above mentioned reasons.

iMac ain't bad though. I know many customers who are very happy with their purchase.