MacBook Pro as desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JBazz, May 23, 2011.

1. JBazz macrumors 6502

My old iMac is getting really slow and cannot play some newer games. I need to replace it. If I get a 13 in MacBook Pro to use as a desktop and occasional portable, how does keeping it plug in continually affect the battery?

Has anyone here used a laptop as a desktop and been happy with the results?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If you unplug it every once in a while there is no reason to worry.
    If you rarely ever need it mobile. Just get a mac mini and some cheap Windows netbook.
    Using the MBP with a closed lid all the time is not ideal either as the cooling system is much less efficient when closed. There is only one slim slit left and the fans ramp up sooner and need to run much faster.

3. PT123 macrumors member

Now that I have an iPad, my MBP never really leaves my desk, and it works great. I can't imagine keeping it plugged in full time creates any problems

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The recommendation is that you should at least partially drain the battery at least once a week. So, if you take it with you somewhere and use it for a little while you'll be fine. Or, just unplug it and use it at your desk.

I will say if you are going to be using it mainly at a desk the difference in performance between the 13" and the 15" is pretty big. If you afford it I'd recommend you do that instead.

5. bobthedino macrumors member

It's well worth reading Apple's page about laptop batteries, it gives you all the info you need: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html Specifically it says "Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time".

Also worth noting that if you use a MacBook in "lid closed" mode attached to an external display, it will only work with the mains power connected: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131

6. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

This is my setup when I bring my laptop into work. It works great, but sometimes needs the lid open to cool it down and make the fan "chill out" :rolleyes:.

I think it would work great for what your intended purpose; just unplug the power sometimes when you're using it to keep the battery happy.

Attached Files:

7. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

I should probably just get a new iMac. When the iPad came out I got rid of my laptop. I tried the 11" MacBook air, but had issues with iTunes and mail so took it back. I would like a laptop for occasional use, but don't want to deal with two separate iTunes libraries.

Besides, my iMacs usually last 5 years before I need an upgrade. Much beter than laptops.