MacBook Pro as HTPC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gugy, Oct 16, 2010.

1. gugy macrumors 68030

I have a MacBook Pro 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo with 2gb RAM that is 3 years old and I was wondering if I can use this machine to work as HTPC.

I was contemplating buy the new MacMini but looking at the specs I though my MacBook are very close.
    I understand I need to get adaptors to have it connect to my plasma HDTV HDMI and have an external drive connect using FW800 for my huge movie library.
    I am wondering if anybody use the MacBook pro for HTPC purposes and what are their impressions. Does it handle 1080p well? Does it work well with Plex? Does iPhone Apple remote works with it or Logitech's Harmony one?

I appreciate any feedback.

2. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

3. seek3r macrumors 6502

I've been considering that as the ultimate fate for the '07 MBP I'm typing on right now when I replace it. My machine is close in specs to yours, a 2.33 core 2 with 3gb of ram.

It handles 1080p MKVs fine as long as I don't have much else running in the background, plex works fine as does xbmc (which I actually prefer because it handles my network shares easier), and the xbmc remote apps work fine from my ipod touch and iphone. The apple remote works perfectly, I have no idea about the harmony though since I dont have one.

4. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

Cool,
    Yeah I was considering buying the new Mini but when I read the specs I felt why not use my MacBook. Good deal.
    Thanks