macbook pro as monitor for mac pro desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by graphdeville, May 6, 2009.

1. graphdeville macrumors newbie

hi,i was wondering i have a macbook pro,and am about to buy a mac pro desktop,is there any way to use my book as a monitor,for the desktop,
    until i get a new display,any help would be greatly appreciated,
    many thanks...d

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I highly doubt it. Maybe some crazy way with eye tv. How do you have a mbp, mac pro on the way, but no display?

3. graphdeville thread starter macrumors newbie

i do have a screen on my book,works just fine,i just dont have a monitor for my new desktop yet,was wondering if i could somehow use my book as a stopgap,until i buy a monitor....

4. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

i dont think thats possible. When buying a mac pro the first thing you should get is a monitor. Its basicly pointless to have bought it without. Even if it is way you will probally have to buy software and special wires so with that money just get a basic monitor until you get the one you want. Good luck though.

5. mwchris macrumors regular

You could always use the screen share function, but you would need a screen to get it all set up.

Also, not sure if this would work, never tried, as I have no need. If the Macpro boots like a laptop put it in target disk mode, and then connect it to your laptop via firewire and make the laptop boot form your Macpro drives.

I highly doubt the above will work, but just a thought, I am kinda interested myself now. . . .

6. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

You could use a VNC protocol but I'm not sure how that would work since you have to set it up on the Mac Pro first. So actually that's no help. You'd need a monitor to set up the Mac Pro then you could remotely control the pro with the laptop until a screen arrives.

7. graphdeville thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice,i will try the above when it arrives,and let you know how i get on...d

8. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

9. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

All of these suggestions are fine for use with a simple file server, but you're buying a brand new Mac Pro so I'm assuming you're going to something with it that is processor intensive. If you're doing any kind of video or graphic work then no VNC or screen sharing is going to update at the speed and quality you need to see your results. Just spend an extra $200 on a decent 20" LCD.

10. graphdeville thread starter macrumors newbie

your right i use logic pro,and loads of plugins,ive decided to get a sony 32inch hd tv instead so i can use it with my ps3 360 and wii also,the mac does,nt arrive until monday,any idea what lead i will need?...

11. arturo f. macrumors newbie

There is this software I bookmarked time ago because I found it interesting: www.screenrecycler.com/home.html

Never used it thought. At the time I was wondering if an outdated iMac could be used only as screen of a newer computer.

I would only use a laptop as screen of a desktop computer as provisional solution (until you buy a real screen) or as second screen for occasional use.

Arturo