Macbook Pro as second monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by argo13, Jul 9, 2011.

1. argo13 macrumors newbie

Mar 26, 2011
    Is there a way to use a MBP as a second monitor? I need a second display to connect to a PC laptop.

Obviously, I will need a VGA to Mini DisplayPort adapter. I know it's possible to use the MBP with a second monitor, but I don't know if it is possible to use it as the second monitor.
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Look into AirDisplay, as other options are not available, as the MBP does not have a video IN.
  3. benjaminaho macrumors member

Feb 17, 2010
    United States
    As the second monitor? Yes, I do this all the time, I plug my 13" MBP into a 27" Dell monitor, the Dell being the primary monitor. But as a second monitor to a PC laptop, then no. As Simsala etc. said, there is no IN, only an out. For instance, on a MBP 13" the audio jack is both an IN and an OUT, meaning you can have speakers and headphones plugged in, or you can have something like a microphone plugged in. In this case, the Mini Displayport (or Thunderbolt) is only an OUT, and can show on a monitor, but can not have something show on its own monitor. You could try AirDisplay, or LogMeIn, or something like that.