Macbook Pro as second monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by argo13, Jul 9, 2011.

1. argo13 macrumors newbie

Is there a way to use a MBP as a second monitor? I need a second display to connect to a PC laptop.

Obviously, I will need a VGA to Mini DisplayPort adapter. I know it's possible to use the MBP with a second monitor, but I don't know if it is possible to use it as the second monitor.

2. simsaladimbamba

Look into AirDisplay, as other options are not available, as the MBP does not have a video IN.

3. benjaminaho macrumors member

benjaminaho

As the second monitor? Yes, I do this all the time, I plug my 13" MBP into a 27" Dell monitor, the Dell being the primary monitor. But as a second monitor to a PC laptop, then no. As Simsala etc. said, there is no IN, only an out. For instance, on a MBP 13" the audio jack is both an IN and an OUT, meaning you can have speakers and headphones plugged in, or you can have something like a microphone plugged in. In this case, the Mini Displayport (or Thunderbolt) is only an OUT, and can show on a monitor, but can not have something show on its own monitor. You could try AirDisplay, or LogMeIn, or something like that.