macbook pro as wifi-hotspot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leonw, Mar 30, 2011.

1. leonw macrumors member

leonw

I want to use my mbp (13", late 2009) as a wifi-hotspot.
    The only way I can connect to the internet is with a 3G/HDSAP mobile broadband connection. I use a simcard in a usb dongle.
    What I've tried sofar: system preferences- sharing- internet sharing- share your connection from: usb dongle (I've tried all the other possibilities as well)
    -to computers using: airport.
    The arrow shows in the airplay symbol in my screenbar. My iphone shows the airport/wifi symbol in the screenbar as well (after some time) and it 'says' it is connected to the mbp but their is no internet connection. I also want to share the connection to a netbook/pc but it even doesn't make the network connection.
    What is it I'm doing wrong or is it plain impossible with a usb dongle?
    Thanks in advance.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i've done what you want to do many times and your right on the money, why your devices cant connect i don't know. do you need a password/pin to activate the sim card in the modem? - try putting the sim in your iphone and remove the pin from it.

also, i never installed any of those softwares that ship with the modems. I always used apple shipping drivers and just get the wep addresses off a phone with the same carrier.

3. leonw thread starter macrumors member

leonw

I removed the pin: no difference. I never installed any drivers. The usb-modem is always recognized by mac and the notebook.No problem there.
    I also wanted to share my ituneslibrary on the mbp with the iphone(3gs) by this new feature in iOS (homesharing) but this doesn't show in the ipod-more screen on my phone.So...?
    Maybe a stupid question but what is a 'wep adress' and where/what do I need it for?
    Which option do you choose to share your connection? The usb-modem, ethernet, airplay or any of the others?
    Thanks