Macbook pro at Dixons Tax Free

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danielwwong, Jun 21, 2010.

1. danielwwong macrumors newbie

Help! I'm confused a bit by Dixons Tax Free. From what I understand they aren't actually VAT free (because law doesn't allow them to be), but they get away with calling themselves Dixons Tax Free because they claim to be around 17.5% cheaper than the high street. What is unclear is this: if I am moving permanently outside the UK/EU (which has the same effect as if I were a non-UK resident purchasing goods in London and then exporting those goods outside the EU), can I purchase from Dixons Tax Free and then reclaim the VAT paid at Global Refund at the airport before I depart?

Does anyone have any experience re the above?

Many thanks!

Daniel

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

These airport stores do actually sell VAT free stuff providing you meet the criterias and I'm sure you can't claim a VAT refund on items that you didn't pay VAT on. In other words, the staff will probably check your boarding ticket before giving you the discount and will not fill in any VAT refund paperwork because it is not applicable.

Not sure whether you will have to pay any duty on the purchased items when you get to the other end. Depends on the value of the purchased items,... etc and whether your stealth skills are up to scratch.

3. NicktheNorse macrumors member

I think you might be able to - as you are technically correct - Dixons Tax Free is not tax free at all - they simply discount the prices by the current rate of VAT. The correct tax rate is still charged and the appropriate portion of the price you pay at the airport still goes to the government coffers...

4. NicktheNorse macrumors member

You would have to do this. In fact, you would have to pay both the equivalent of the destination nation's VAT and the import duty on the other end, assuming it is outside the EU/EEC.

So if you put it that way, seeing as you would definitely need to pay the tax at the point of import you shouldn't have to pay the VAT in the UK.

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

That would be nice in an ideal world. Mustn't forget that there is normally a handling charge for the refund (on normal purchases) which can take days or weeks depending on how the customer wants to be refunded and how good the retailers' processes are.

Not going to go in to a whole discussion. It reminds me too much of my retail days.:D

6. mianmian23 macrumors newbie

you probably could have tax free purchases at any Dixon retail store, the only thing is you need make sure you wont back to UK again, I dont have experience on this tax refund, but Selfridges store told me I only can claim Tax under never back again, and they checked my passport,or maybe not back within couple months.

7. danielwwong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks for the advice. I very much doubt my permanent new destination will pick up on the new laptop and charge import duty, etc. Despite the advice, it doesn't sound like anyone has actually tried this - another 17.5% off the already discounted prices is quite a deal...

I may have to give Dixons Tax Free a call.

Thank you.

Daniel

8. NicktheNorse macrumors member

Post back if you do call them, this would be quite interesting :)

9. molala macrumors 6502a

Most shops would fill in a Global Refund form for you if your purchase is over £70 I think. So a laptop would easily qualify. In case Dixon at the airport doesn't have stock, I'd buy it from the Apple Store instead and have them fill out the Global Refund claim form.

Only thing is that you should get to the airport very early (if it's Heathrow, which has a very long Global Refund queue, not sure of other airports).

10. danielwwong thread starter macrumors newbie

Spoke to Dixons

They said it is a bit of a grey area, partly because Dixons has changed recently from being tax free to now not tax free. They've had some customers who have had issues with customs - so now Dixons' policy is to fill out a Global Refund form but disclaim any liability if when you take the form to customs they slap a penalty on you (this is what happened to one customer who then promptly complained to Dixons). I'd much prefer to buy at Dixons rather than apple store because the price is so much better, but am not really much wiser as to whether it would work or not. Any other thoughts?

11. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Well you've now got about 6 months before the VAT goes up to a whopping 20%! :eek: