MacBook Pro Atheros chipset work with Broadcom chipset wireless modem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richard.mac, Jul 25, 2008.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im thinking of buying an ADSL2+ wireless modem with a Broadcom chipset. will this work properly with my MacBook Pro Core Duo's Aiport that has an Atheros chipset? my current ADSL modem + wireless router works perfect with my Airport but im worried this new wireless router wont work properly with all the Leopard Airport problems and all. any thoughts?

2. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

ahh its all good i found that my current wireless router has a Broadcom chipset after searching for agesss…

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    FYI, whether a wlan card is compatible with a access point doesn't depend on the chipset but the wireless standards that both do / do not support: 802.11.a/b/g/n ... WEP, WPA, WPA2 ...

Tex ;)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ditto that.

However Broadcom cards seem to have better reception and throughput compared to Atheros cards.

5. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok guys thanks :) im going to use WPA which im using now and the new wireless ADSL2+ router has a Broadcom chipset so im good to go.

i did a bit if research and it looks like the wireless is on channel 6 while im on channel 5 atm so i think ill change it.