MacBook Pro audio jacks don't "lock"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcwiz, Jul 19, 2009.

1. pcwiz macrumors member

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro Late 2008 unibody 15" model and I have a little issue. Usually when you plug something into a 1/8" minijack the plug kind of "locks" in place. On my macbook pro the jacks do not lock onto the plug. They are functional but are loose on the plug (very annoying as it comes loose all the time...), any ideas?

Thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You should go here and schedule an appointment to have it checked out.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Don't sweat it. I thought that was an issue too but all three of my MacBook Pro's have the same "problem". There is a tiny click to let you know it's in but it doesn't really lock and stay there, and you can easily lose connection by moving it a bit. I also tested this out in-store, same thing.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

yeah same here, ive had used a few uMBP and uMBs that are like that..

5. pcwiz thread starter macrumors member

Well that sucks, you'd think that Apple would perfect the minijack design by now but oh well. I've looked this up and it seems most MacBook/MacBook Pro users are having a similar issue so I guess I can live with it :)

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Annoying isn't it? I've got the same thing. I miss that particular aspect of the Classic MBPs.

7. pcwiz thread starter macrumors member

Oh, can someone confirm something for me? The Line In jack seems a bit looser than the headphone jack. I dunno if its just me, but that's what I seem to find.

8. goMac macrumors 603

9. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Had that problem with my previous 15" '08 MBP, my new '09 15" locks like it should.

10. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

11. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I had this on my unibody macbook. Getting the new MBP soon, and by the looks of this thread, hopefully the issue is fixed.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The problem may be with the cable. The mini-TOSLINK cable I use is very secure in my Mac Mini (2.23GHz 2009), my MBP (15" early 2008), and my brother's uMB (CE).

13. pcwiz thread starter macrumors member

I tried with 3 different plugs: Panasonic earbuds, apple earbuds (the ones that come with the ipod touch), and a minijack to RCA cable that I use to hook up my MBP to my stereo receiver. None of them lock properly.

However I have this cheap 1/4" female to minijack adapter that plugs in and fits properly in the line in port. This may be because the plug is bent very slightly (not enough to stop it from going in) causing it to fit in there tighter, I'm not really sure.

I have considered the possibility that the bent 1/4" female to minijack adapter I used in both the headphone and line in jacks may have messed up the minijacks, but I've taken a look inside both the line in and the headphone jacks with a bright flashlight and both seem to be fine on the inside. Any way to tell for sure by looking inside the jacks if they were damaged by this bent connector? Maybe just be an issue with the Late 2008 and earlier models.

14. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Mine locks just fine! One week old June 09 15" 2.66 GHz MBP.