Macbook Pro - Audio Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 3nglish, Feb 6, 2011.

1. 3nglish macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2011

Searching through the forums, I have found that many people have problems with the headphone jack on the Macbook Pro. My problem is that, when playing audio through the headphone jack, a weird "whoomphing" or wavering noise is present. It sounds as though the audio is quickly moving from one ear cup to the other. I have made a quasi solution by using audio hijack pro to force mono sound throughout my system, and this seems to have temporarily solved the problem, but I would really prefer to listen to my music and other media in stereo sound if at all possible.

I have tried several pairs of headphones, and they all experience the same issue. When I use the headphones on other systems, they are fine, so I don't believe that they are the source of the problem. When playing audio from the Macbook's built in speakers, the sound is normal.

I purchased my Macbook in the summer of 2009. The model identifier is MacbookPro5,4. I am running Mac OSX 10.6.6, and I just did a software update check and everything appears to be up to date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

May 20, 2009
    It sounds like there is something physical wrong with the connections you have on the headphone jack. I would take it to the apple store... do you have applecare?