macbook pro backlight doesn't work after beer spilled on it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edgarbilliet, Sep 26, 2012.

1. edgarbilliet macrumors newbie

Hello

Today I noticed the backlight of my 13" MBP doesn't work anymore like it did before. The middle keys (5,6,7,8, TYU, GH, BN) don't seem to be affected, but on the sides, the keys give a significantly smaller amount of light, although they still go along with the 'good' ones when I want to in- or decrease the light.

This will probably have to do something with the beer that got spilled on it last night, even though the keys aren't entirely 'dead'. Someone who can help me to fix this problem??

Edgar

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

My son had a similar incident. His keys were sticking badly. We went to the Apple store and while they normally don't cover accidental damage under AppleCare, they repaired his 13 in MBP as a courtesy. The cost of the repair would have been over $900 for a new logic board. It was enough to convince me to get AppleCare on all my Apple notebooks from now on. I might not get on my iThings or desktops any more but I definitely think it's a good idea for a Macbook. If your machine is under a year old, pick up AppleCare right away and register it. Hopefully (but no guarantee) Apple is still honoring those "courtesy" repairs for beer spills. Next time keep the liquids away from your Macbook. :eek:

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You can try taking it to Apple, but if there's any evidence that it had liquid spilled on it they're not obligated to fix it. You could try taking it somewhere else to get it cleaned out.

If beer was spilled on it last night, you shouldn't even have it powered on right now. It should have been immediately turned off, had the battery removed, and allowed to dry out for at least 48 hours. Running it when there's potentially still liquid inside greatly increases the chances that you're doing/have already done harm that will cost hundreds of dollars to repair. Just because it's working at the moment doesn't mean it will continue to work. The liquid and sugars from the beer will continue to cause corrosion inside, which can lead to problems weeks or months down the road.

4. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

i highly recommend getting a screwdriver set, taking it apart (ifixit has lots of guides) and letting it dry out.

anywhere you see markings of dried liquid (sometimes it'll be gooified - truly gross), get some rubbing alcohol on there with gentle swabs of a q-tip. if you need to get into tight spaces, use a lint-free cloth with a spudger behind it. always be gentle.