Macbook Pro BACKUP help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slagathor001, Nov 2, 2011.

1. slagathor001 macrumors regular

So I updated to 7.2 yesterday and for some reason my computer won't boot. I try everything nothing works...

so on a friends computer I get Lion 7.2 on a flash drive (because i don't have my installation disc) and I go to repair my hard drive from that BUT it says I can't repair it cause of an error or wtvr and it says i should backup my file and restore my computer.

My only question is how do I backup my computer when the only way i can get passed the apple when turning my computer on is with holding option and clicking the lion flash drive??????

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Take the hard drive out and stick it in an external enclosure, put files on another comp, clean install on your mac once you put the hard drive back in, move files back over from the other comp.

And keep a time machine or other means of backup in the future, this will happen again.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Does the OS on the installer flash drive have access to finder or Disk Utility? With either of those you can create a file backup on a new external drive.

4. slagathor001 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I can go in disk utility and how could I backup my hard rive from there???

----------

isn't it a whole big process to do so I don't have the unibody macbook pro

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

It takes a while to get to the HD on the non-unibodies(I have one), but with some practice, it takes roughly 10 minutes to get the sucker out of there.

Perhaps you could try plugging your mac into another one in target disk mode if you have a firewire cable hanging around.