MacBook Pro base model for a games development student?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tanuki-chin, May 1, 2017.

1. tanuki-chin macrumors newbie

tanuki-chin

Hello everyone!
    Since a couple months I've been needing a laptop.

I won't left my gaming PC, but this upcoming years I'll be moving to some countries.

And my question is the next: I'll be good with the base model? I really don't like touchbar and I will buy an external GPU, so I have no problem with graphics, but I don't know if the processor is ok.

I'm currently working with unreal engine and unity.

Thanks to everybody!!

2. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I can't speak for unreal engine, but unity 5 is working like a champ on macbook 12.
    I am waiting for a MBP refresh, and using mb12 in the mean time. Only time i find that mb12 is slow is in importing lots of assets in the same time, or when building. But nothing dramatic.

I am using mb12 as my only computer in the meantime, hooked up to tb3 dock + dell u2515 monitor. So I really doubt that mbp13 would give you any problems at all. I highly doubt that you will need a external GPU at all, unless you are developing a 3D masterpiece. But in that case, mbp 13 is not an option at all :)

3. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

The thing about Unreal Engine is that it requires quite a lot of GPU grunt when you're running the editor so a 15" machine or an external GPU, which requires a number of unorthodox hacks to work, is a must. As for CPU requirements, the dual core chips in the 13" models may not be enough if you're trying to create big environments or environments filled with loads of objects, specially if you're attaching AIs to them. However if you're only learning then you're probably not going to create anything super advanced.

I myself have done some basic game development Unity for the purpose of edication and that ran completely fine even with a pretty meager GPU. However it was pretty simple stuff aimed at mobile devices.

Additionally, when using an external GPU you're not going to be able to work on the go. I personally found that sitting down and actually playing your prototypes in the editor together with others from your team was a pretty good tool for coming up with ideas for changes and demonstrating your ideas.

4. tanuki-chin thread starter macrumors newbie

tanuki-chin

Thanks for answering @c0ppo and @SarcasticJoe.

I'll not going to "serious business" so I think that I'll go for it. And If it can't handle it, I can always sell it for a good price and buy a new one without losing so much money.

Thanks for your opinions and have a great day!!

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Depends what you write.

i wrote games on DOS PCs without any form of GPU acceleration.

You can write games on anything.