Macbook Pro Battery Buldging/Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mongoose8p, Sep 14, 2007.

1. mongoose8p macrumors regular

Has anyone had a battery buldging problem like me and contacted applecare about it. I don't really know what to say to them and was wondering if anyone had success in getting a replacement battery?

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Take it to an Apple store if one is close. If not, call Apple RIGHT AWAY and tell them that your battery is deforming.

3. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

You can just take the battery to them. They are, uh, aware of the problem and will hook you up right then and there.

4. cobravap macrumors regular

If you take it in they will help you. Surprised though cause the latest generation of MBP's shouldnt have defective batteries.

5. D.G. macrumors member

http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/macbookpro.html

If you are not close to a store, call Apple now. "Battery pack is visibly deformed." is a symptom of a battery they will replace for free during the first two years of battery life.

I've replaced one this way, though it was only just becoming visibly deformed, the problem that I had noticed and reported was about it not hold a charge, by the time the replacement arrived (a couple of days, they cross ship) the battery was starting to show real signs of bulging.

DG

6. mongoose8p thread starter macrumors regular

Did you have to send in your old battery in?

7. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

When the batteries go bad, do they swell up over a few days, weeks or months? Or is it overnight? :confused:

8. D.G. macrumors member

Yes I had to send in the old battery, they had my credit card number and would charge me for the replacement if the damaged one was not returned within ... I think it was 2 weeks? Shipping was free and easy.

In terms of how fast it went bad I'm not sure. It was my wife's battery, we noticed that it had stopped hold a charge real charge, so I swapped it out with mine to troubleshoot. That's when I noticed it was just starting to bulge a little bit--like the base piece of metal was pulling away slightly, but could be pushed down and would "re-stick" and look flat again. I called Apple that day, and kept an eye on it until the replacement arrived (couple of days). It was noticeably more bulgy by then, but still only a very mild bulge compared to some photo's that I've seen of batteries with issues. The metal had perhaps a 2 or 3mm gap by that point.

I had kept the battery in my machine, because it is positioned in a way that makes it less prone to the magsafe popping out. However this probably did accelerate the bulging because her MBP sleeps a lot more, and I probably subjected the battery to more heat.

DG

9. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Hmmm...

My battery is good per iStat and cocontBattery... but mine is doing that (sheet metal pulling away, needing to be "re-stuck"... but it NEVER holds. :(

10. D.G. macrumors member

I don't think it'd hurt to call and ask about that, but definitely keep an eye on it in case it starts to get any worse. I'm wondering if a little bit could be just a sign of the glue not sticking rather than expansion? Hard to say given my experience.

DG

11. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I haven't noticed it bulging yet. It seems like a pretty poor design to me to use double-sided tape (or whatever it is) to hold a battery together. Metal on metal and they use an adhesive and one that doesn't seem to be able to handle heat.

Oh well... I'll keep an eye on it. If I wake up one morning and my MBP is levitating 1/2" off the desk I'll know the battery expanded! :D