Macbook Pro Battery Bulge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevemiller, Oct 2, 2014.

1. stevemiller macrumors 65832

So I was expecting "radeongate" to be the thing that did in my 2011 mbp. But when I went to use it the other day, I discovered the battery has expanded to such an extent that the trackpad has popped out of the unibody frame.

I've already upgraded to a new laptop for my job, this was just my home machine. That said, I'm left with a bit of a quandary. It is about 2 months out of applecare (ugh), so I'm guessing they'd charge for a battery replacement, but with my luck, it'll succumb to graphics failure as soon as I do that. But I also kinda feel like I'm sitting on a bomb with this thing lying around.

What would you guys do?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Close to an Apple Store? See if they will fix for free - 2 months out of warranty isn't long.

3. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 65832

i'm actually close to several (i live in toronto, canada). i had an appointment initially booked for this evening, but i got delayed at work and had to reschedule for next wednesday. its crazy how booked up they are.

part of me is hoping they do something nice, especially since this happened to my 2008 macbook pro as well.

do they do any sort of buy back on old laptops? i don't really want to sell a radeongate model to anyone directly, but it also seems like a bloody shame to have to completely toss a machine just because the battery needs replacing.