MacBook Pro Battery Capacity Degrading Fast?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pinoyplaya, Jun 29, 2009.

1. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Is it me or is the new MacBook Pro batteries are degrading fast?

I use Coconut Battery and did calibrate the battery the first time I got it. So far, I have put only 5 cycles on the battery.

Here's the Coconut Battery stats...

[​IMG]

After only 4 days of normal use the battery capacity dropped by over 100 mAh. I rarely use my laptop using the battery.

2. glavoie84 macrumors regular

Not that bad, mine is at 5351 right now, after 10 cycles. Actually this number will vary quite a bit. The calculated battery capacity depends on a lot of factor. For exemple, if you put a high load on the battery (100% CPU usage until it's depleted), it will appear as having less capacity. If you leave the laptop idling until the battery is dead, it will appear as having a higher capacity. Any rechargeable battery will act like this. Mine vary between 98% and 99%. Unless your battery drop much faster, and by much faster I mean by many percent and not by a few mAh, I wouldn't take care about it. A battery slightly above or under specified capacity is normal. All batteries are not made equal.

3. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

have you checked activity monitior?

4. alexboy45 macrumors regular

i found that the battery changes its mind. at one point mine was at 92% but it is now at 100% at 132 cycles try using on the battery more or calibrate it.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

100 mah out of thousands is well within the error margin of any battery capacity reporting software.

6. karlinel macrumors newbie

Mine was worst, I'm at 127 cycle count and my battery capacity according to coconut battery is just at 84%. is this normal? or I really got a defective battery? I have a macbook pro early 2011. Sometimes it goes up to 91%, they 87%.. this is sooo frustrating...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's perfectly normal for battery health to fluctuate up and down over time. Your battery is not defective. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It fluctuates constantly. Since I purchased my MBP, I've seen it report anywhere from 95% of capacity to 100% of capacity. It currently says 96% after 27 load cycles. I wouldn't worry unless it drops drastically and stays that way.

9. Sparticu$ macrumors member

I think it's fine you have to remember there's a chip inside the battery determining all of this based on conditions of the battery it may not be entirely true.