Macbook Pro Battery Care and Lid Click

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lazymej, Nov 2, 2007.

1. lazymej macrumors newbie

I just wanted to know if I'm doing something wrong with my battery. Yes, I have read the tips on the Apple website about laptop battery care, but much to my dismay I still see the life of my battery deteriorating ever so slowly in coconutBattery. I work a lot with the AC power plugged in, as well as running off the battery, so the electrons are moving a lot in the battery. The computer is only a month old or so and I've seen people on these forums who have had a Macbook/Pro for longer than a year who still get 100% capacity. Any suggestions or ideas?

Also I wanted to know if anyone else had an issue when they open/close or adjust their screen panel on a Macbook Pro (from the motion, not the latch). When I do this, there is a clicking sound.

2. torpy macrumors regular

Yea, I get a slight 'click' when the MBP lid is about 15 degrees away from being closed. Can't really be heard unless you're specifically looking for it..

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Specifically how bad is the health of your battery?

I have a few "creaks" in the lid but nothing that concerns me.

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

For reference, here's my coconut output. 11 months, 88 cycles, 91% health. I don't feel like my battery is less normal than those freak 110% health, 2-year old batteries. ;)

If it means anything (which I hear it doesn't) I calibrated just a few days ago.

Attached Files:

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

measure the actual time you get out of your battery. The time/health reported from the battery can be wildly incorrect, or evidence of an underlying issue.

I just had my MBP's battery replaced under warranty. it was 13 months old, had 68 cycles and at 34% health. I couldnt get more than an hour's worth of work done. From what once kept a charge after a 1 and a half hour class came down to barely making one 50 minute class with a fully charged battery. This all happened after I updated the battery to 1.3

6. lazymej thread starter macrumors newbie

It's at ~90% now. Like I said, it's only about a month old so this strikes me as odd. The capacity is slowly going down (went from 100 to 95 and down..).

7. Iced Angel macrumors regular

my goodness !!
    my MBP's only 3 months old ... 42 cycles ... and health is 92% :( and every time i do the calibration, it goes 1% down

8. rc99 macrumors newbie

coconutbattery

Just as a matter of interest, I just downloaded coconutbattery (v2.51) and it was telling me that the charger was connected and that it was charging. This wasn't the case, but now that I have connected the charger, it is telling me that the charger is not connected and it is not charging! Excellent, nothing I like more than a reliable app.

9. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

he,he go figure....are the batteri in mbp that bad?compare to other laptops..i allways thought the battery in mbp to be great..
    but after reading these post it really makes me wonder...

10. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that the MBP batteries were bad... In my experience, most ppl on the board are showing off *phenomenal* battery life, and even those with 'average' life I think are generally pleased.

As far as any laptop I've owned, I think this MBP has had the best battery. I get between 2.5 to 3.5 hours of battery life depending on the tasks I'm doing, and sleep life when on battery is awesome. Close the lid at night, come back after a few days, hey; still running!

Mine's 11 months old for reference. I'm still very very happy with battery performance.