macbook pro battery charge issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bennynova, Jun 9, 2014.

1. bennynova macrumors member

I know there are multiple threads on this throughout the entirety of the internet.... but i figured i'd start another

i have an early 2011 mbp with battery charge issues. here is what i have done so far. i am attempting to avoid having to replace an entire logic board for $300-700.

- adapter light would only turn faint green. (not amber and not bright green)
    - battery would not charge, but if the adapter is plugged in, the battery stays same level and does not decrease
    - purchased new adapter (no change) took adapter back.
    - purchased new battery (no change) will send battery back (maybe)
    - computer still starts up and runs fine.... but only when plugged in
    - i have purchased a DC-IN board for $35 and will see if that solves the problem.
    - i have tried all of the left-****, option, command, power SMC resets out there. no change.

is there ANY thing else it could be besides the logic board replacement?
    and if it is the logic board, is there a place i can just submit my current one for a "trade" for a reduced cost?

2. bennynova thread starter macrumors member

update

the magsafe DC-IN board came in yesterday. I installed it and nothing changed :(

so now i have a new battery, and a new magsafe DC-IN

my only thoughts now are that its in the logic board

i am now awaiting a box from ifixit to send my logic board into them for "repair"

this cost is $249... and i only get charged if they can fix it.

was there a cheaper option available?
    i don't think it's going to take much for them to fix my logic board... everything works as it should (minus a battery not charging/magsafe light not coming on)

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I wish you the best of luck. Without having your Logic Board in front of me I cannot pin point the issue.

4. bennynova thread starter macrumors member

Would pictures help?
    Where exactly are the charging portions on the logic board? Just where the DC in connects and the battery on the opposite side?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Not really. You essentially need to test voltage read outs at certain parts on the board then resolder on new parts. I think iFixit is the best way.