Macbook Pro battery charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigsnowdog, Sep 1, 2013.

1. bigsnowdog macrumors member

I have done quite a lot of Google searching of the Web and this site. I am not confident about what I've learned, so I need to ask some questions.

Last night I purchased a new 13 inch MacBook Pro. I bought it so that I could remote access my Mac Pro from out of town.

I had Macs since 1985, but this is the first laptop I've ever opened. I did a lot of searching already about battery charging but I found such a mix of information I'm not sure what to believe.

Is it correct that I should not just leave the charger plugged in all the time? I would like to do the best thing I can but it's not clear to me just what that is. And, that's with having read the rather lengthy tome on battery care.

What advice you have for me? Thank you for your help.

2. simsaladimbamba

It is advised, to use the MBP on battery from time to time to keep the battery in use and let it discharge at least once a month or so.

The following FAQ contains verified information collected mostly from Apple, who should not **** you when it comes to their own notebooks and its batteries.
    • BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

It's pretty simple, just use it the way that's most convenient. Plug it in when convenient, run unplugged when convenient. There is no problem with leaving it plugged in after it's done charging, and in fact unplugging it when it's done charging is likely to shorten the life of your battery due to frequent charge/discharge cycles. The batteries only have a certain number of cycles before they're done, getting in one full cycle per month is recommended, but if your typical use results in more then that's fine.

There's no need to over-think the batteries and come up with a charging plan or specific habit. :)