MacBook Pro Battery Concern

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fazzl, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

So I have the 13 inch MBP but whenever i unplug it to use on battery on my bed it gives me around 3-4 hrs of battery time. I went to the apple store and unplugged their MBP with the same apps running and it ways around 5-6 hours...

Whats going on here? iStat says battery is 99% health...

All i have running is safari,mail, and transmisson.

2. jongriff macrumors member

Hey, well first I think it can always be helpful to calibrate your battery. I suspect however that this is not your problem. In general if you place a laptop on a soft surface like your bed it tends to reduce the airflow through the laptop preventing it from cooling as efficiently. I always notice that the fans in my MBP come on earlier and more intensely when I'm working on my bed. It sounds as if this could be happening to you. Do you notice your MBP get hot or the fans come on?

3. AeroUK macrumors 6502

I have the same problem. Only getting around 3 hours! Please let me know if you sort it.

Aaron

4. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

right now brightness is on the 4th from lowest and i cannot hear any fans going and im getting 4:16 min

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you actually getting 4 hours 16 minutes of battery life, or are you just reporting what the little indicator says? That indicator isn't always accurate.

6. Draven macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm also having a similar issue. I'm getting about 4-5 hours of battery charge if I'm only running Firefox 3.5 RC. I fully understand the 7 hours stated time was if you were not doing much, however the browser is the only program running and didn't expect the much vaunted new battery to only be able to handle that. I would have maybe expected 6 hours.

I do have AppleCare however, so I may just phone them up and ask but would be useful to know if others have the same issue.

Thanks for the help! :cool:

7. hamish5178 macrumors member

Wait. . .

You spent 6 hours in an Apple store?

8. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

no im just going by what it said in the estimate in the toolbar

9. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

what should the battery capacity say in coconut?

mine says 5516 mAh

10. oligore macrumors member

oligore

Turn off bluetooth and/or airport when your not using them it saves heaps of power

11. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

so im getting around 3-4 hours in the estimate with brightness on the first level (one up from no backlight). bluetooth off, and the only app open is safari and just this forum.

i turned off wifi and closed safari and it gave me an estimate of 6 hrs.

i just calibrated the battery last night and it is at 5400 mAh

12. kloan macrumors regular

Hmm.. mine's down from 5450 to 5359 and I'm getting just under 7 hours with 1/2 brightness, Firefox running with steady browsing.

13. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Oh, well I get twelve hours on my uMB.

14. anguyenn macrumors member

I got 11 hours once.

15. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

so right now, i have brightness all the way to the 2nd from bottom, and have only this website and transmisson open, and the menubar estimate is 4:40.

should i take my computer in to get it checked out or what? is this normal?

16. sos85 macrumors member

So I have the 13 inch MBP but whenever i unplug it to use on battery on my bed it gives me around 3-4 hrs of battery time. I went to the apple store and unplugged their MBP with the same apps running and it ways around 5-6 hours..

You are sure the battery in normal situation can use 5-6 hours? If you want use mac 5-6 hours with battery, you must low your LCD bright, close the all useless program , dont listen music and :)soso.......

Generally the apple battery can work about 3-4 hours when you pay game and watch movie.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What setting is your energy saver on? [​IMG]

18. AeroUK macrumors 6502

The energy saver preference templates are not on the uMBP's.

19. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

should i make a genius bar and take my comp in to get a new one or get a new battery (if they can even swap them).

Ive yet to get an estimate of over 5 hours and ive tried everything....all i want is to see the number 6,7, or 8 in the menu bar but all i get are 3 or 4 hours, right now 2 hours....