Macbook Pro battery dead after less than a year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by energysaver, Feb 18, 2009.

1. energysaver macrumors newbie

The battery of my MBP has started doing funny stuff - even though I've tried calibrating it (iStat says it's at 50-ish% health after 150ish cycles).

I was using my MBP when, with about an hour of operation left and without warning, the computer died. The battery LED was flashing fast. Later that day I opened it and it worked again for about 30mins before sleeping again, so I thought I'd leave it until it didn't even have the power to sleep before I recharge it.

That was more than 48hrs ago! My MBP is still asleep and won't wake up.

How long should I leave it? Should I take the comp back to Apple - is there a fault?

2. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Your battery must be dead. Have you tried to plug it in?

Do you still have Apple care? If yes then I would surely go check that with Apple. It's in no way normal.

3. energysaver thread starter macrumors newbie

If I plug it in, it will charge to "100%" but it'll only last an hour or so.

I want to put off plugging it in and charging it til its completely dead (and hasn't even the battery energy to sleep).

But I just wonder how long it'll sleep for?!

Anyone know how I can fully discharge it quicker?

4. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Whats the health of the battery? IstatPro will show you or get coconut battery and look at the amount of juice it holds now compared to when it was new.

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Dont apple have a policy if its less than 300 cycles and under 80ish % they will replace it as it is deemed as faulty?

6. energysaver thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said originally, it's at around 50-60%.

It's just weird that, two days ago, it thought the battery was so low it forced itself to sleep. And it's still asleep!

How much longer?!

7. energysaver thread starter macrumors newbie

And what's even more annoying is my partner's bottom-of-the-range MacBook, of the same age, is 99% health after 120 cycles.

So much for my idea of 'investing in a better computer".

The MacBook also HandBrakes faster than my MacBook Pro. Rubbish. I feel totally ripped off.

8. energysaver thread starter macrumors newbie

9. claimed4all macrumors 6502

10. AluminumMac macrumors newbie

As a previous poster mentioned, if you still have Apple Care explore that option first. If you don't you might want to find someone that can recondition the battery. It isn't a long term fix but it may add some battery life.

11. energysaver thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your help - I called Apple, quoted the page you mentioned and they're sending me a replacement battery.

I hope you get this - I'm actually a 'banned' member (completely incorrectly but Macrumors don't listen to my pleas or even reply to my emails - they also have a very clever system whereby it looks to me as if my posts are being posted, but actually they aren't!).

Whenever I want to post I have to make a new username and get what I want done before they realise it's me again! No big deal but I really hope you get this thank you message. You saved me a lot of money!!

I owe you a beer.

Dan.