Macbook Pro Battery Dies Without Warning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RickWall23, Mar 16, 2012.

1. RickWall23 macrumors newbie

I have a early 2008 Macbook Pro pre-unibody that has just refused to warn me about it's battery life since May 2011. Before May, it used to pop and say "you're now running on reserve battery" and eventually it would put itself to sleep. Now, it just totally dies. No warning and no sleeping.

I replaced the battery a few months later with a generic battery (not Apple brand) and the problem continued. I've re-calibrated both batteries multiple times, and today I installed a new HDD and reinstalled the OS from scratch and upgraded from 10.6 to 10.7. It still keeps dying.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me insane.

2. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Faulty battery? It happens. Download and install coconutBattery to check on the health of the battery.

3. RickWall23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Faulty Battery Twice?

I checked Coconut. All I see is that my battery is at 70% of its original capacity and it's had 227 load cycles. Not sure what that really means as far as battery health goes though.

Would it make sense that two batteries in a row would cause this though?

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

1) Your original battery is about to die. That often happens after three years or so. Does it say "service battery" when you click on the icon? Mine started showing the same behavior a few month before it died.

2) Non Apple batteries tend to cause all sorts of problems (even those from Apple are not perfect, but at least you get to return or exchange them).

5. RickWall23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lame. I guess I'll try a new battery, and if it solves the issue, I'll have learned my lesson about buying knockoffs.