Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiKePiFF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Ok so to start off, my Macbook Pro is around 3 years old. With my original battery having been through 350+ cycles, I had to buy a replacement. So I did some research and found that the Fastmac battery was my best bet for a long-lasting, reliable battery. I would say that Ive had the Fastmac battery for a bout 6-7 months without any problems whatsoever. However, recently Ive been noticing the drastic change in battery life. I installed Coconut Battery yesterday and discovered that my current battery capacity is 2266mAh with the original capacity being 5800mAh and 213 cycles. I also should note that the battery drains 1% a minute with no programs running (besides the Activity Monitor, which showed no strange behavior). Now luckily for me, My Fastmac battery is under a 1 year warranty, however I just wanna verify that it is a fault with my battery and not anything on my Macbook's side causing the battery to drain so quick. The last thing I want is to receive my replacement and then have to go through the same process 6 months later. If anybody can help me out with any information Id truely be grateful.

Also here is the Battery Information from the System Profiler.....

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
First low level warning: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 2266
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 1414
Amperage (mA): -1449
Voltage (mV): 11421
Cycle Count: 213

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Your battery is at 63% health. It has failed.

What is the warranty policy for FastMac?

MiKePiFF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Your battery is at 63% health. It has failed.

What is the warranty policy for FastMac?

Im sorry, I forgot to mention that when I copied the information from the System Profiler, my battery was at 63% and unplugged from the charger. Still I have a feeling you are right about the battery being the problem. I mean the current max capacity my battery can reach is half as much as its original state and only 6 months in.... I dont know alot about laptop batteries or the hardware aspect of computers but that doesnt sound normal...

Also my dad called Fastmac and even though we dont have the receipt they said they will replace the battery since it is covered under their 1 year warrant.... only thing is that theyre currently sold out and the next shipment arrives in 3 weeks :(

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Well, you will just have to deal with waiting ;)

Can I see a picture of Coconut Battery running on your computer? (Command + Shift + 4 + Space then click on Coconut Battery)

designed

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Finland
Something similar happened to me with the original MBP battery (2.4 Santa Rosa from late 2007) early this year, I noticed that the capacity had dropped to around 2400mAh and it only got worse after that, only dying completely in the end. Not that many cycles in it, guess it was killed by being in the charger for most of its life.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
It sounds to me like the most likely culprit is the battery. Since it isn't much of a hassle to have the battery replaced under warranty, I would take that route without hesitation. Battery failures are much more common than failures or defects of the power supply within the laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.