MacBook Pro battery drains overnight while off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mwendand, Dec 13, 2007.

1. mwendand macrumors newbie

My four-month old 15-inch MacBook Pro loses pretty much all battery power overnight... while turned off.
    The Apple Store gave me a new battery but same thing happens. I have the 1.3 battery update. Running 10.5.1
    Would leaving BlueTooth on do this?
    Any ideas?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

BlueTooth isn't enough to drain a fully-charged battery. Not unless your connection is going haywire trying to connect to every BT device within a mile. Unlikely, especially since the battery drain happens when your unit is powered down.

Either coincidence gave you another bad battery from Apple and you need another replacement, or there's a deeper problem in there. Is there an Apple store nearby? Set up an appointment with a genius.

3. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

are you sure its off? it may be sleeping, but then again it shouldn't do that, either...

take out the battery at night and see what happens..

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It sounds like a gift from Leopard. Take it, and be pleased. Leopard knows what's best for your battery. Not like that other operating system that, you know, stayed out of your way and never even bothered to drain your battery for you.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Huh? Leopard has nothing to do with the battery draining if the computer's off.

Unless of course, the computer is actually sleeping, as was pointed out, in which case it's likely waking up and running something which is draining the battery. Mine has had that issue, although fortunately it doesn't do it with the lid closed. The parental controls task seems to be the problem for me, it's using 90-100% CPU, even though I don't have parental control activated. I've yet to find the fix in my case though, but check your activity monitor or type "top -u" in the Terminal to see if something's running in the background like that.

jW

6. r88my macrumors regular

I think he was being funny...