MacBook Pro Battery 'Expanded' out of its case (Pics included)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quu, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

So I bought a 17" MacBook Pro in June 2006. I had used it up until Febuary this year when I upgraded to a new 17" MacBook Pro. And I'm sure like the most of you I couldn't part with my first Intel Mac! so I kept it and stuck it back in its little cover it comes in and stuck it back in its original box and packed it away underneath my bed.

Several months went by and about 4 weeks ago I decided I'd boot it up and re-install Leopard on it. During that time I charged it. And there was nothing unusual, the battery was fine. Today I thought why not erase the hard disk and put Snow Leopard on it. But when I got it out of the box I instantly felt that there was something odd about the underside. I thought perhaps the battery had come unlocked. So I flipped it over and instantly saw that the Battery had infact popped out of its casing. It was not like this when I packed it away, there were no signs of bulging at all.

I swear that I have not damaged this notebook at all and it has had no impacts, it was stored right underneath my bed in a dry room at room temperature.

Does anyone know if this is potentially explosive? I don't have Apple Care on this, should I bother calling Apple? Should I alert them to my Battery expanding or just dispose of this and buy a new battery?

I have obviously not attempted to Charge the notebook, turn it on, or check the battery charge amount with the button as the battery is broken and I have no idea what would happen if I did any of those things. I have also not yet attempted to remove the battery from the notebook.

Pictures: (I put an iPod Touch in two of the Pictures so you can judge just how much it has expanded)

[​IMG]

Mirror of the above Pics: http://i26.tinypic.com/2qcqplu.jpg

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Seems to be a unique problem to that generation of the 17" I had one in an Incase, took the shell off and the same thing happened.

Just Yesterday.

3. Quu thread starter macrumors 68020

Quu

Wow thats really scary. :|

4. pinktank macrumors 6502

it is potentially explosive and apple will replace it as it is not a wear and tear problem.