Macbook Pro Battery from third party vendor (Amazon.com)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henhowc, Jul 22, 2009.

1. henhowc macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I was planning on buying a replacement genuine Apple battery for my 2007 SR MBP direct from Amazon.com as its slightly cheaper and they do not charge sales tax.

What I was a little unclear about is if I do buy it direct from Amazon.com, is the 1 year warranty coverage through Amazon or would I still be able to get an Apple store to do a replacement if the thing fails within a year?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I believe since Amazon is an authorized retailer you would get it from that purchase date. What I am unclear about is that whether the battery gets an additional one-year warranty or just a 90 day warranty and whatever Applecare the computer has left on it.

I am very certain that you are supposed to pay tax on Amazon, unless you live in a place that has no sales tax.

3. henhowc thread starter macrumors regular

If you buy direct from Amazon (not a third party vendor who sells through Amazon) you don't get charged tax as Amazon doesn't have any "store presence" in any states. There are some exceptions though:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512

I've never paid any tax on purchases from Amazon (I live in California). For example, a year ago I bought a Sony LCD TV direct from Amazon. It was listed at $1999 and that's exactly what I paid. Free shipping. No taxes.

4. henhowc thread starter macrumors regular

Got my new genuine Apple battery from Amazon. The warranty on replacement batteries looks like they are definitely separate from your Mac/Applecare. 30 days to return to Amazon and 1 year limited warranty through Apple.