Macbook Pro Battery full charge: PANIC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac Head, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Mac Head macrumors member

Hi,

I am extremely worried aboaut my Macbook Pro. I have had it for about 8 months, and after I fully charge it, and use it on battery, it shows a shocking 1:50. Isn't it supposed to be 8 hours!!!
    Okay I know it was never 8 hours but it was considerably more than 2 hours.
    What has happened! I barely ever use the computer on battery as it is usually plugged in when in use.

Help!

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at the capacity via System Profiler > Hardware > Power.

there you will see
    Full Charge Capacity - the capacity it can hold why it is fully charged
    Charge Remaining - the capacity it currently has

Cycle Count - number of battery cycles (have a look at MRoogle to find thousands of threads about all this)

Condition - dito

[​IMG]

There is also CoconutBattery which gives you the original capacity (the full capacity it had when it was build) and the age of your Mac.

And again, use MRoogle to find plenty of those battery angst threads.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

5. Mac Head thread starter macrumors member

Hi, I have erad here that it is fine to use it on the power adapter for the majority of the time and that in fact it will help the battery last longer with fewer charge cycles.

I do regularly, at least once a month, let the battery run out fully, and charge it up.

Would any one else recommend taking it to the apple store (is there any point)

6. DivineEvil macrumors regular

I'd recommend calibrating it a few times and then if there is no improvement go to the Apple store.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's no need to calibrate it a few times, once is sufficient. In fact multiple deep drains will do more harm then good.

8. blackhawk755 macrumors newbie

Battery catastophic failure leads to Hardrive failure.

I lost a hardrive on Mac Book Pro after 2 plus years. This may be the problem: The Mac book was starting up when the Sony battery failed without warning. Showing full charge, but only charged to 1550 mAh, instead of 6000 mAh plus. Causing a catastrophic failure when the hardrive is starting and needing the most power. The power supply (the battery) lost 3 of its 4 cells. The Sony batteries appear to be the problem and needs to be recalled.
    It is costing the consumer not only a new battery but also a hardrive.

9. Mac Head thread starter macrumors member

Mine is made by SMP apparently so I don't think I have the problem you described. Although saying that, it feels as though it is not charging fully, how can it only last less than 2 hours! I remember when I first got it it was more than 6hours.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It depends on what you're using it for. Time remaining on any given charge depends on many things.

If the health is above 80% capacity with less than 300 cycles you have nothing to worried about.

11. DaReaper macrumors member

Take it to the apple store and they will replace the battery for you since he hasnt been a year yet...;)