Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eluzion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
So, I'm assuming this isn't normal and just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. I have a 15.4" Macbook Pro (Santa Rose) that I purchased about 3 months ago. The battery capacity has been slowly dropping and was just at 93% the other day. Today, it's at 83% and I check the "Full charge capacity" and it's only 4681mAh. Brand new, it was around 5600mAh. I don't know about you, but that is a pretty drastic drop for a fairly new Macbook Pro with 62 cycles on the battery. I did calibrate it when I first got it and again last week.

Anyways, anyone else experience this?

Eluzion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Do they have you send in the computer? That's what I'm worried about.

If it keeps degrading at this rate I'm going to give them a ring.

Winglet

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
Upstate, NY
It seems to me that the majority of people having battery issues with the MBP use the battery often. I too have a fairly new MBP, it is just over two months old and my batter capacity is 99%. I only have 10 load cycles on the battery as I keep it plugged in whenever possible.

GreyHare

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
Austin, TX
If they handle it anything like the inflating MBP battery problem, they'll ask you to drop by your nearby Apple Store to exchange the battery. You'll need the serial number for your MBP for them to do this; the battery S/N isn't enough.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
i have like 140 charge cycles and its capacity has gone down to 1269 mAh. the battery doesnt even last 40 minutes and spontaneously shuts down if the battery life goes down to roughly 20%. would Apple replace it for free? I requested a replacement at Apple 5th Ave store 3 months ago when battery life was at 60%, and they refused to replace it saying it is under normal specs. Now...the battery life is just unacceptable.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
i have like 140 charge cycles and its capacity has gone down to 1269 mAh. the battery doesnt even last 40 minutes and spontaneously shuts down if the battery life goes down to roughly 20%. would Apple replace it for free? I requested a replacement at Apple 5th Ave store 3 months ago when battery life was at 60%, and they refused to replace it saying it is under normal specs. Now...the battery life is just unacceptable.

They should replace it for free. It depends -- is your MBP still within the free one-year warranty, or within the terms of your AppleCare warranty?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.