MacBook Pro, Battery health, and Energy Saver

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NeverhadaPC, Feb 20, 2013.

1. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

My MBP (from June 2009) had its battery recently replaced (thanks AC!) due to poor health. I am now sitting with a newish battery that has:

119 cycles and 99% health. I generally charge during day and discharge at night (sitting in bed/couch). No gaming or high intensity operations while on battery.

One thing I noticed recently was that since the new battery, I had forgotten that I switched to operating in "Better battery life" [or maybe Apple switched for me?]. Once I switched back to "Higher Performance" yesterday, I have noticed two things:
    1) My uMBP body runs hotter... it's warming my hands (makes sense)
    2) The battery health percentage given by iStat jumped to 98% (immediately, despite being plugged in).

Question:
    Does "Higher Performance" graphics kill battery health faster since my computer always runs hotter?

My understanding of LIBs is that warmer temperature reduces "internal friction" so should be less lossy and hold charge better, which I assumed to mean that it should not worsen health.

Any comments are appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Running heavier workloads and/or settings set for higher performance can cause an increase in temps and power demands, shortening the time you can run on a battery charge. It will not, however, affect your battery's health. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.