MacBook Pro battery health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rdiz17, May 22, 2013.

1. rdiz17 macrumors member

I have a mid-2009 MBP and the battery health is all over the place. I have been calibrating my battery regularly but it doesn't fix anything. Just typing this post I have seen the health go from 79% to 72%. What is going on?

Attached Files:

2. rdiz17 thread starter macrumors member

And now this......

Attached Files:

3. negativzero macrumors 6502

Battery capacities will fluctuate there should be no cause for worry until you're well below the 80% and 500 cycles.

4. rapicell macrumors regular

I'd be worrying considering the cycle is 174 and it's sitting well under where it should be

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

Its still fluctuating above 80 so I'm not too worried.
    Still OP can take it in to Apple, but unless it says "service battery" in the menubar, Apple won't replace the battery.

6. rdiz17 thread starter macrumors member

Only sometimes does it say "Service Battery". But the AppleCare for the computer expired last year so I'm not in any rush to replace it unless I really have to.

7. emacna1 macrumors regular

My MBP 7,1 has been consistently at 77% and I'm around 610 cycles. Is this cause for concern?

Will Apple replace the battery for free if it says service battery? The other day I was getting service battery, but after resetting the SMC I'm back at normal.

Just wondering if it comes up again.

8. GGJstudios, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions: The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Batteries are only covered by warranty or AppleCare if they're determined to be defective. Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its health for up to 1000 cycles. Since you're below that, you should take your Mac in and let Apple check it out. Barring any manufacturing defects, since batteries are consumable items, is the users' responsibility to replace them when they have depleted.

The "Service Battery" indicator comes on when the battery health drops below 80%, or when there is a problem with the battery.