Macbook pro battery help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grooveattack, Jan 25, 2009.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

hi guys
    in short my MBP battery is bummed.
    399 cycles and holds charge for about an hour.
    bad i know but i have had it under a year.....

here are the system profiler details:

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2013
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 2594
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 399
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1524
    Voltage (mV): 11651

so i am thinking it might be defective in some way, can i get a new one without spending £100?
    cheers

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Once you reach the "300 cycle" mark, they aren't very inclined to replace your battery for free. I doubt you'll be able to convince them otherwise but it wouldn't hurt to state your case, you never know. :)

...How did you manage to drain 300 cycles in under a year anyway?? That would be one cycle everyday (including weekends) for 300 days!? :eek:

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Im fairly amazed that you've managed to get through 399 cycles in less than a year, thats nearly impossible, however it seems you did. Unfortunately as your battery is over 300 cycles the chances of Apple replacing it are minimal, but you could always pop into an Apple Store and ask a genius. You could try explaining that the laptop is under a year old, and that its covered by warranty for a year, but he may just throw the 300 cycle cover only back at you.

One final note, did you try calibrating it recently? And you calibrated it as you should when you first bought the laptop right?

4. grooveattack thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know!! thats why i am thinking that it may be faulty.

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I would try calibrating it and see if anything changes
    Charge to 100%, disconnect from AC and use normally (ignore the "reserve battery power" indication) until it turns off and hibernates (breathing sleep light). Let it sit for 6hr or overnight and recharge in the morning and allow a full recharge.

6. caissie1 macrumors newbie

I have my Macbook pro for just over a year now i have 203 cycles and my battery is at 25% health. Im was wondering if i bring it to future shop ( were i bought it with the garranty) will they replace it for free ( my garranty is for 3 years). I dont have a apple store near my home! Thx!

7. iaymnu macrumors 6502

If you live close to the shop then it won't hurt to go and ask. Go while your charge cycle is still lower :D